BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gents,
I've been working on an abridged version of the factory Maint. Schedule.
I don't know about you guys,...but I find the factory Sched. too busy, with small print....
Basically difficult to read. I thought that it would be nice to have a Schedule that would fit
all on one page, that would be Easy to read (at a glance) and you can scribble all over it.

So I present this PDF for your critique / Review. Some of you old Wrenches Please ..
Feel free to chime in.
First I eliminated some stuff like "read the MoDiTeC", and check throttle cable play.
I then separated the service stuff from the inspection stuff.
Combined some things...like steering damper & front end check.
I then changed some intervals to reflect more of the "real" world. For example I doubled
the air filter miles to align it with the fuel filter change (what the heck).
I doubled the timing chain guide liner insp to 72,000 miles, ( I'm curious what JZ and DS think about that one) It's a living document.

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Looks great Rand. But does this comply with MSG-3 standards? :) One item that I do pretty religiously is inspect and lube the shift linkage. This may not be on the official schedule, but it is something that we have found to be very worthwhile in a preventive sense.

John

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks John,
That is Exactly the kind of feedback that I was looking for !

Inspect and lubricate the shift linkage. (perhaps on a 2 or 4 year interval)
Got it !

·
Registered
498 Posts
Nice job!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Nice, clean, comprehensive form

Thanks!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,421 Posts
Just a tad excessive on the brake fluid but nothing wrong with that, especially if you live in a high humidity environment. 99-2001 (ABS II) every year is OK (and easy). 2001-2009 annual on the wheel circuits and 2-3 years on the control circuits. +1 on John's shift linkage comment. Center stand I would lube at least on the 12K for 05 and up to reduce load on the hydraulic actuator.

As for the timing chain guides I looked at the 100K+ ones that came from Steve's dead engine and they showed very little wear at all. Nothing wrong with taking a look at them as I am sure they all don't wear exactly the same.

Great job as I often don't even look at the factory one and may miss something. I will print it out and start using it.

·
Premium Member
7,655 Posts
rhawk said:
Gents,
I've been working on an abridged version of the factory Maint. Schedule.
I don't know about you guys,...but I find the factory Sched. too busy, with small print....
Basically difficult to read. I thought that it would be nice to have a Schedule that would fit
all on one page, that would be Easy to read (at a glance) and you can scribble all over it.

So I present this PDF for your critique / Review. Some of you old Wrenches Please ..
Feel free to chime in.
First I eliminated some stuff like "read the MoDiTeC", and check throttle cable play.
I then separated the service stuff from the inspection stuff.
Combined some things...like steering damper & front end check.
I then changed some intervals to reflect more of the "real" world. For example I doubled
the air filter miles to align it with the fuel filter change (what the heck).
I doubled the timing chain guide liner insp to 72,000 miles, ( I'm curious what JZ and DS think about that one) It's a living document.

Thanks for your time.
That is a nice clean piece of work. But I think I will stay with my Excel spreadsheet that has conditional formatting that turns cells yellow as items come due and then red when overdue. Unfortunately, the sheet is nearly all read as I have 27K and haven't done the 24K yet! :)

That is set for next week's vacation though...

·
Registered
576 Posts
If it were two sided, you could include valve clearances. (but that's just me being picky)

·
Registered
876 Posts
Nice clean job, would you be prepared to post it in Word or Excel format ? I keep all my service records electronically. Oh, and in metric (Km's) in the great south land.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Very much for the feedback Guys !

I'm going to add "check & lubricate shifter linkage" right below change clutch fluid.
(at least every 2 years)......I'm going to leave the timing chain guide check at 72,000
(check em or don't check em) Anything to add for later models could be hand written
down in the note section. I'm just trying to keep the clutter to a min.
Word ?....Excel ?.....I dunno, let me ask my Wife.

Now.......I Like the idea of a place to record your valve clearances. I'll attach another pdf.
Print it off and staple it to the back of the Schedule. (old school style)

Thanks !

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts