BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a little fall ride today about 35 miles south to Cantril, Iowa. There's a store there run by Menonites called the Dutchman's store. It was 47 degrees and with a light rain going down. We had the grips on the seats on our vests plugged in and our satellite radio going. Nice to have a bike that can handle so much electrical output so well. In the light rain with the shield up and the wings out we didn't even get wet going down. The rain had mostly stopped on the way back on the back roads. Took them slowly because of the deer issue this time of year. All in all it was a fine ride. Makes you love the LT when you realize again all she can do easily.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Can't agree with you more! With the capabilities of this bike it is comfortable, built to handle the elements as much as possible for a motorcycle, and still able to keep up in the twisties to boot.

Mugz

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
Glad to hear you had a great ride. I enjoy cooler weather riding much more then hot weather :)
Then again I sweat if I think to hard.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I LOVE MY LT TOO!!! I take this thing to work every day, takes me everywhere! Plug in my heated vest, warm grips and seats and have a blast! LOVE THIS BIKE!!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Out of pure boredom for the last 4 or 5 months I have thought about maybe getting a new bike,,, But every bike I sit on or test ride makes me even more satisfied with the LT...

I have looked at the FJR, the K/GT, the new Concours, especially the Triumph Tiger, but none seem to fill the bill.. Even the boxers don't come close, hell for two cylinders I'll go back to HD...

I really think I'm happily stuck with the K/LT.........Pete

·
Registered
215 Posts
Di wh sa!

I bought my LT in July... and the Maine winter is fast approaching.. folks are saying.. are you still riding? I look at them, I look at the bike and say, OF COURSE!

I haven't purchased any heated equipment yet.. and I still haven't donned the insulated liners in my riding gear. I am enjoying this first fall season to the max. Between the vistas I'm taking in.. and seeing what I need to do to stay comfortable in ever decreasing temps I'm loving every mile.

The other morning the bike temp read 29... coldest morning ride...but really.. between the riding gear(still without liners): the thinsulate gloves, nolan 102 and boots, grip and seat heat... the only cool spots have been between my shoulder blades, on the top of my forearms, the small of my back, and the front of my shins... all of which were only cool and not uncomfortable.

LT Love? U BETCHA

·
Registered
153 Posts
gpolakow said:
It was 47 degrees and with a light rain going down. We had the grips on the seats on our vests plugged in and our satellite radio going. Nice to have a bike that can handle so much electrical output so well. In the light rain with the shield up and the wings out we didn't even get wet going down.

Good to hear as tomorrow's forecast is about the same and I'm picking up my first LT. :D It's going to be a 70 mile ride home and I'm really looking forward to it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mugszy said:
Can't agree with you more! With the capabilities of this bike it is comfortable, built to handle the elements as much as possible for a motorcycle, and still able to keep up in the twisties to boot.

Mugz
LT'S RULE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Love my LT too. Been a chilly 58 degrees in the morning when I leave for work and 96 degrees when I ride home in the afternnon. Not too fun when the Santa Ana winds blow but she handles it just fine. Might have to start using the windbreaker on my mesh jacket soon... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I feel your pain. I went for a ride yesterday and today and at the beach (10mins from the house) it was 78, yesterday it was 88..... winters comming fast!

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Rock1098 said:
Love my LT too. Been a chilly 58 degrees in the morning when I leave for work and 96 degrees when I ride home in the afternnon. Not too fun when the Santa Ana winds blow but she handles it just fine. Might have to start using the windbreaker on my mesh jacket soon... :rolleyes:
Chilly 58??? That is a heat wave!

:bmw:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Here! Here!

Cool and wet is good for the LT. Much better than a hot summer afternoon!

I was going 70mph through 28 degree air this morning on the way to work for 35 miles. No prob.

Why do I call it Das Boat? Well, it's from Germany; it's huge; it's grey (silver); you need a ladder to get on and off of it; refueling is awkward; but like a boat, it provides relative comfort and protection in an otherwise hostile environment.

Dave

·
Registered
215 Posts
DasBoat2003 said:
Here! Here!

I was going 70mph through 28 degree air this morning on the way to work for 35 miles. No prob.

Why do I call it Das Boat? Well, it's from Germany; it's huge; it's grey (silver); you need a ladder to get on and off of it; refueling is awkward; but like a boat, it provides relative comfort and protection in an otherwise hostile environment.

Dave
Hillarious Dave.. :rotf:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DasBoat2003 said:
Here! Here!

Dave
Not to be too picky here, but isn't it Das Boot?
You might also add, it goes through water nicely.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gglove said:
Glad to hear you had a great ride. I enjoy cooler weather riding much more then hot weather :)
Then again I sweat if I think to hard.
Usually, by the time I get all the warm weather gear on, I AM sweating. Then I have to ride to cool off. :histerica

·
Registered
109 Posts
OK, OK, Greg, I stand corrected. It is Das Boot - not Boat.

For some reason, the forum software wouldn't take DasBoot, so I just used DasBoat, hoping no one would notice. Guess I should've known better. It seems the BMW crowd is a little better educated than average...

And by the way, last summer, during a downpour on the way home from work, I hit a long deep puddle on the interstate going 65mph. I didn't have time to change lanes, just time enough to see the puddle. I was expecting a bad hydroplane episode, but The Boat went straight through it, without even a slight bobble. Just made a loud SSSSSSSS noise.

The Boat, and all LT's for that matter, are great going down the highway at 70mph in nice weather. But you really appreciate the LT in potential hydroplane situations, panic stops, 30 mph crosswinds, and Oh-my-god maneuvering.

Am I right?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DasBoat2003 said:
OK, OK, Greg, I stand corrected. It is Das Boot - not Boat.

For some reason, the forum software wouldn't take DasBoot, so I just used DasBoat, hoping no one would notice. Guess I should've known better. It seems the BMW crowd is a little better educated than average...

And by the way, last summer, during a downpour on the way home from work, I hit a long deep puddle on the interstate going 65mph. I didn't have time to change lanes, just time enough to see the puddle. I was expecting a bad hydroplane episode, but The Boat went straight through it, without even a slight bobble. Just made a loud SSSSSSSS noise.

The Boat, and all LT's for that matter, are great going down the highway at 70mph in nice weather. But you really appreciate the LT in potential hydroplane situations, panic stops, 30 mph crosswinds, and Oh-my-god maneuvering.

Am I right?
Absolutely. And last summer on the way down to NC I drove through water over the road when the Salt river overflowed its banks. It was about a 2 mile stretch and the water at its deepest was above the pegs. She handled it beautifully.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I was the only bike on the road over the 120 miles that I saw today.....47 degrees and just a fantastic ride...The LT is perfect.

F

1 - 18 of 18 Posts