BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an '03 in November (then rode it home over 1400 miles!) which came with only 1 key and security system fob. I talked with the local dealer. They said I could get a key by bringing my driver's license, title and proof of insurance. To get a fob, the service department has to order it and schedule a service visit to "program it in". Is this correct? Can't I program it to the security system? I will appreciate any comments.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
reggosnell said:
I bought an '03 in November (then rode it home over 1400 miles!) which came with only 1 key and security system fob. I talked with the local dealer. They said I could get a key by bringing my driver's license, title and proof of insurance. To get a fob, the service department has to order it and schedule a service visit to "program it in". Is this correct? Can't I program it to the security system? I will appreciate any comments.
They are correct about the fob. It will need to be programed.

The keys from the 03's can be cut by the dealer. They do NOT have to order one from BMW if you have one to copy. The newer bikes (RT's, GS's etc) with the CAN-BUS system have coded keys and the dealer does have to get them from BMWNA and you have to prove ownership to order one, they are 65 bucks too...

Find a dealer that knows how to make the keys. The blanks for your bike are only about 6 bucks:)

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
Reg first off welcome!
They are unfortunately right. My suggestion is if the flob you have is working well run with it. I bought my 03' new and have never had to use my second flob. With that in mind do not let the battery go bad :mad:
Enjoy your new ride!
PS my ride to the dealer is 55 miles and I thought I had it bad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts