BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was sitting at a light (with the wife) on our 09 LT last week. Was playing with the GPS and then noticed the light had already turned green. Peaked at the rear view mirror and noticed I had a car coming up on me fast. So, I had no choice. I nailed it hard. Nailed the throttle all the way, (while at the same time) feathered the clutch just like the old road racing days. I could not believe it. I got going and the rev's kept climbing after the clutch feather was done, and the clutch was all the way out? I got the clutch actually all the way out, yet the revs spiked all the way around to red line, yet I was hardly doing 10. Let off a bit, nailed it again, and the revs swung all the way to red line again (slipping), with no real gain in speed. Eventually I got everything settled down, but dang - what a wimpy clutch. I know LT's are not made for this. However, I did this once years ago with my goldwing, and not an issue. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this kind of extreme clutch slip with an LT? Talk about stink. A good clutch in this situation, will either kill the engine (poor hole shot technique) or will (should) launch a bike like no tomorrow. Only a worn out clutch would perform like this, but dang this is a 09 with 2,000 miles. Thought the clutch would have a bit more mojo.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Never having experienced the same scenario, I haven't a clue. I have experienced killing the engine by applying too the clutch too quickly and not enough throttle.

From what I gather, the clutch bearing surface is ceramic, which would lend itself more to longevity than "stickiness". I can't remember a thread on "worn out clutch" so they must be quite durable.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
The clutch shouldn't slip period. Mine slipped only slightly on me once and I tore it down and it was alreading starting to shred. I'd have it checked out and look for a leak inside your bell housing............I was in northern Wisconsin last month. I saw hundreds of Harleys but only 3 LTs during the trip........... :D

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
rodneyinmaypearltx said:
I can't remember a thread on "worn out clutch" so they must be quite durable.
I can... :( There's been a few threads on wearing out clutches, they don't all go with an oil leak. They will wear out doing silly (but fun) things... only got 16,000km out of my first one.
You really need to let the clutch grab before opening it wide... its a slightly different way of taking off, but it might save you a lot of grief later.
Good luck, and get the "weep hole" done anyway. :p

·
Registered
54 Posts
Chinook
I too have the 09, and have experienced the same thing you describe. I must admit not to the same degree, no red line but a horrible "slip" just the same. It occurred with about 385 miles on the ODO and I thought maybe the clutch needed some more "run in time". I have not tried again as I try not to beat on her too much. I now have about 1400 miles and will see how she acts today. I am very interested to hear all the experienced owners chime in here. This is my first BMW and really like it but that does have me concerned. BTW I am not new to motorcycling or hot bikes and think I know how a clutch should work.
Thanks in advance for any replies and insights. Also what is this weep hole of which some of you speak? I guess time for a search, what about warranty issues if I start drilling holes in my brand new bike.

Thanks again,
Cheers,
David

·
Registered
3,229 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Guys, don't holeshot with your LT - especially to the extent it sounds like chinook spun his up. If you do that even once to that extent you are likely to find yourself having to replace the friction and pressure disks. The LT clutch is not a very robust design, but will last 100k miles if it's not abused.
As was already mentioned, get the bike rolling a little, get the clutch all the way out, then you can get on the gas. Otherwise it's something like 14 hours shop time to replace a beat up clutch. :(
It bugs me too, even my Harley will smoke the LT for the 1/8 mile runs. Of course after that the Harley wouldn't keep the LT in sight, but it'll win the holeshot everyime :p

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
KMC1 said:
Guys, don't holeshot with your LT - especially to the extent it sounds like chinook spun his up. If you do that even once to that extent you are likely to find yourself having to replace the friction and pressure disks. The LT clutch is not a very robust design, but will last 100k miles if it's not abused.
As was already mentioned, get the bike rolling a little, get the clutch all the way out, then you can get on the gas. Otherwise it's something like 14 hours shop time to replace a beat up clutch. :(
It bugs me too, even my Harley will smoke the LT for the 1/8 mile runs. Of course after that the Harley wouldn't keep the LT in sight, but it'll win the holeshot everyime :p

PLus 1.....I have owned 2 Lt's and it is easy slip the clutch on a brand new one. I too feel this is a very under engineered part of the bike. Hopefully BMW will take this into consideration on the next version LT's.

Ron

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know I should have not hole shot the LT like that, but if it would have worked out like most other bikes, the tach would have been way under 7K. The redline was an accident. It would instantly spin to that each time I would wick the throttle (almost as if I were on a center stand in neutral). It would spin that fast. All I hope is two things (a) get the word out to others so others can learn from my mistake, and (b) if this is a design flaw, hopefully (thru the power of this web site) get the word back to BMW to beef this clutch up. LT's are not made to be launched, but my situation required it. The clutch needs to be stronger. I dont want to spend my own nickel on 14 hours having a tech modify this problem on a two week old 09 motorcycle. BMW is better than that.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,341 Posts
Doctor, Doctor, It hurts when I do this!

Then don't do that.

Seriously your approach to getting out of the way was all wrong for an LT. Less than 2000 rpm until the clutch is fully in, 5 feet max roll, then nail the throttle and shift to second when you hit 60 mph (or you'll get the rev limiter). Nothing can catch you. Practice and stop the wet clutch launches.
I did this once when a guy pulled out in front of me and I was still in second gear at the stop and was pissed and rolled the throttle up past 2500 while I slipped the clutch and all I got was a stink and a slow roll out. (that was 30,000 miles ago on the same clutch)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Dry clutch; high revs and friction zone application? Doesn't sound good.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Had reason to get going in a hurry a few years ago and feathered the clutch some and then it was all the way out and wasn't really gaining a lot of speed. Then noticed a lot of white smoke coming from the back of the LT. Them Metzlers stink and leave a squiggley black line on the road. Clutch held just fine, was riding solo at the time.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I don't... Everyone's talking like there's nothing wrong..Other than your abusing the clutch..

Get the bike up to a comfortable speed in 5th gear.. Nail the throttle. If the clutch slips then you've got a clutch problem. Slave cylinders fail on these all the time. If you're slave has failed then that's the reason your clutch is slipping. Several other seal failures will cause the same issue.

Be sure your problem isn't a failed slave or other seal...

Good Luck.

John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts