BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well. After trying and testing what i could. I had to take tubby to the dealer as it still wouldn't idle. Well. Zak the Beemer tech tried to reset electronically. He had to strip her and mechanically adjust the tps. Didn't hurt to bad. It will be ready tommorow. They were closed today. Oh well. Looks like a GS911 is in the future at some point. I still don't think i did too bad. I've owned her for 4 1/2 years and the first time she has seen a dealer. :serious: I will be happy to go get her and get her home. :grin:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yeah, if you could make sure to put the cover sheets on those TPS reports, that'd be great.

Did you get the memo? Oh, and Peter, we're going to have to go ahead and work Sunday too, m'Kay? Great.

:D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Seriously, glad you got the big girl going again!

Mark

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Well. After trying and testing what i could. I had to take tubby to the dealer as it still wouldn't idle. Well. Zak the Beemer tech tried to reset electronically. He had to strip her and mechanically adjust the tps. Didn't hurt to bad. It will be ready tommorow. They were closed today. Oh well. Looks like a GS911 is in the future at some point. I still don't think i did too bad. I've owned her for 4 1/2 years and the first time she has seen a dealer. :serious: I will be happy to go get her and get her home. :grin:
I replaced my TPS a couple years ago. Bought the new red GS911 to do the deed. Adjusting that and the TVA took a couple times running through the procedure to fully get what and when things had to be done so I was confident that i had done it correctly. Good results though. Runs very well and idles fine so I guess I did something right.

I am only a little concerned that you said they are doing a mechanical adjustment and not a replacement of the TPS. If it worked fine for 4 1/2 years, what happened to cause this to be "out of adjustment". Is it possible that they are adjusting the TVA and not the TPS? That would make more sense for an idle issue.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably the TVA

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Probably the TVA
That would make sense. Hopefully you already have it back and it is back to her old self again.

Having a GS911 is really handy even on an LT where you don't have all the newer bells and whistles to track and reset like on the newer bikes. Got the red one as future insurance should I ever decide to part with my LT for something newer.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Having a GS911 is really handy even on an LT where you don't have all the newer bells and whistles to track and reset like on the newer bikes. Got the red one as future insurance should I ever decide to part with my LT for something newer.
Unless hell freezes over, a RED version of G911 will keep its values on used market for a long time as it can support everything from old Motronic used in 1994 Boxer models up until ALL of most recent 2016 BMW models.

Even if BMW goes into OBD2 inteface in 2017 (saw some notes about this in a magazine press release), a lot of the 1994-2016 models will still be on the road for a quite a while and will need servicing. On the used market, you can get at least 50% or more of your initial expense in buying a new GS911.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Even if BMW goes into OBD2 inteface in 2017 (saw some notes about this in a magazine press release), a lot of the 1994-2016 models will still be on the road for a quite a while and will need servicing. On the used market, you can get at least 50% or more of your initial expense in buying a new GS911.
OBD2 huh? That would be interesting. I have a good OBD2 tool already for my cages with some good analytical functions, not just a code reader. If they go that route, I wonder if it will be compatible at all with existing OBD2 equipment.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
OBD2 huh? That would be interesting. I have a good OBD2 tool already for my cages with some good analytical functions, not just a code reader. If they go that route, I wonder if it will be compatible at all with existing OBD2 equipment.
I just re-read the BMW press release for 2017 and I see that I was reading too quickly 1st time.
It appear that an EU4 requirement for 2017 is to have some kind of fault indicator on dash (called OBD in press release). Taugh I saw ODB2 somewhere in this, but it appear to be OBD - an important variation of letter sequence. ODB2 interface would have been fantastic as a diagnostic tool - sorry about my optimist ;-)

See 1st paragraph here:
BMW?s 2017 Model Updates Include New R1200GS Adventure Triple Black, R nineT Scrambler Launch Date and More? | BMW Motorcycle Magazine

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I just re-read the BMW press release for 2017 and I see that I was reading too quickly 1st time.
It appear that an EU4 requirement for 2017 is to have some kind of fault indicator on dash (called OBD in press release). Taugh I saw ODB2 somewhere in this, but it appear to be OBD - an important variation of letter sequence. ODB2 interface would have been fantastic as a diagnostic tool - sorry about my optimist ;-)

See 1st paragraph here:
BMW?s 2017 Model Updates Include New R1200GS Adventure Triple Black, R nineT Scrambler Launch Date and More? | BMW Motorcycle Magazine
Yes, I agree that it would be a good diagnostic advance from proprietary technology. Blinky lights don't do all that much for me ;)

Thanks for that article.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
TVA. It's running great now. We'll see what mileage is. Just got her back yesterday. He kept it for 3 days but stuck to quoted estimate. Took his time to do it right. I will rent a K1600 one weekend at somepoint. But I don't see the LT going anywhere for now.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
TVA. It's running great now. We'll see what mileage is. Just got her back yesterday. He kept it for 3 days but stuck to quoted estimate. Took his time to do it right. I will rent a K1600 one weekend at somepoint. But I don't see the LT going anywhere for now.
JAMES, a few questions... If I may:

(1) do you see this BMW part number on your Bill: 13 54 1 464 908 (approx $US$ 250)

(2) When / How did the bad IDLE symptoms evolved - was it sudden or it became worse progressively?

(3) can you remember if you had the engine RPM increase while using the reverser?
(this is done by the Idle-Actuator / TVA)

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
JAMES, a few questions... If I may:

(1) do you see this BMW part number on your Bill: 13 54 1 464 908 (approx $US$ 250)

(2) When / How did the bad IDLE symptoms evolved - was it sudden or it became worse progressively?

(3) can you remember if you had the engine RPM increase while using the reverser?
(this is done by the Idle-Actuator / TVA)

Thanks!
Just did some searching and you can get this part from Amazon for $130.98 US

There is also a listing for a

TROFOM Idle air Control Valve For VW Citroen Peugeot Fiat Lancia Renault Volvo Skoda Seat 1920F8 7701035321 9942142 3345231 0132008600

https://www.amazon.com/TROFOM-Contr...TF8&qid=1470409233&sr=1-2&keywords=0132008600

which is interesting at $24 US + shipping. For $24 I went ahead and ordered one just to see it. It isn't Bosch but it could be a good replacement or test part spare.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Just did some searching and you can get this part from Amazon for $130.98 US

There is also a listing for a

TROFOM Idle air Control Valve For VW Citroen Peugeot Fiat Lancia Renault Volvo Skoda Seat 1920F8 7701035321 9942142 3345231 0132008600

https://www.amazon.com/TROFOM-Contr...TF8&qid=1470409233&sr=1-2&keywords=0132008600

which is interesting at $24 US + shipping. For $24 I went ahead and ordered one just to see it. It isn't Bosch but it could be a good replacement or test part spare.
A few years ago, I did quite a bit of testing and research on the Throttle-bodies and external sensors for the K1200 "brick-engine".
You are correct in stating that it is normally sold by BOSCH to BMW and... of course some suppliers will sell cheaper the same BOSCH TVA for less. As always, you do pay because it is packaged in a nice BMW box (same for Honda or Ford or ...)

However, because the same TVA was also used on a few cars from Europe, it would appear that some 3rd party have designed an equivalent cheaper TVA (maybe made in China??). I have a few used BOSCH TVA unit here for testing, but I have never ordered these cheap "look-alike" on EBAY. I would be very curious to do so eventually after you receive yours - at $US 24 it does looks a bit "too-good-to-be-true".

I am wondering how these cheap ones will hold up over time - the original BOSCH unit has been quite reliable in general. We do have a few members occasionaly that reports a failure of the TVA, but given age and mileage of many of these K1200LT, overall I would say it is not a problem component.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
A few years ago, I did quite a bit of testing and research on the Throttle-bodies and external sensors for the K1200 "brick-engine".
You are correct in stating that it is normally sold by BOSCH to BMW and... of course some suppliers will sell cheaper the same BOSCH TVA for less. As always, you do pay because it is packaged in a nice BMW box (same for Honda or Ford or ...)

However, because the same TVA was also used on a few cars from Europe, it would appear that some 3rd party have designed an equivalent cheaper TVA (maybe made in China??). I have a few used BOSCH TVA unit here for testing, but I have never ordered these cheap "look-alike" on EBAY. I would be very curious to do so eventually after you receive yours - at $US 24 it does looks a bit "too-good-to-be-true".

I am wondering how these cheap ones will hold up over time - the original BOSCH unit has been quite reliable in general. We do have a few members occasionaly that reports a failure of the TVA, but given age and mileage of many of these K1200LT, overall I would say it is not a problem component.
For $24, I can get it and tear it apart to see how it is made and not blink an eye. At the $130 for the amazon Bosch part, not so much on the disassembly. It will likely just become a spare part in my box for future issues i may have or even another LT rider close enough to take advantage of it. Next time I have the left side off, I will hook it up and see how it performs in the GS911 test. Easy to do and would only take a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
For $24, I can get it and tear it apart to see how it is made and not blink an eye. At the $130 for the amazon Bosch part, not so much on the disassembly. It will likely just become a spare part in my box for future issues i may have or even another LT rider close enough to take advantage of it. Next time I have the left side off, I will hook it up and see how it performs in the GS911 test. Easy to do and would only take a few minutes.
A few years ago I had a good / cheap used TVA from a complete Throttle-bodies assy. This used TVA was used to inspect the internals and make test on various pins signal. It is basically a small stepper motor that drives a worm-gear. The worm gear will push the piston IN or OUT as needed to decrease / increase idle as needed.

See attached picture for a simple shot of the internals (not all parts removed in this shot).
See attached PDF document to do some testing on your new unit so we can compare notes...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
A few years ago I had a good / cheap used TVA from a complete Throttle-bodies assy. This used TVA was used to inspect the internals and make test on various pins signal. It is basically a small stepper motor that drives a worm-gear. The worm gear will push the piston IN or OUT as needed to decrease / increase idle as needed.

See attached picture for a simple shot of the internals (not all parts removed in this shot).
See attached PDF document to do some testing on your new unit so we can compare notes...
Thanks. I believe I already have your PDF saved off in this version from other discussions on the TVA. It looks like the cheap version I ordered also has clips around it holding it together so I may be able to inspect the insides without destroying it to compare quality. There isn't a lot to it but then cheap knock offs will find some way to mess it up ;) Still, it should only be a $24 part, not $250 for what is inside it.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They quoted me 2 hours labor and stuck to it even though he had 3 days and.spent mote than that.on it. I spoke to him myself. He said he loathes LTs. LOL. I've been working on them for over 10 years he said.. He.said.It's the 3rd one he's had this summer he had to manually adjust. He said. I just had to adjust it little at a time then test ride it. Then a teeny bit more. Pretty sure it was the TVA

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
They quoted me 2 hours labor and stuck to it even though he had 3 days and.spent mote than that.on it. I spoke to him myself. He said he loathes LTs. LOL. I've been working on them for over 10 years he said.. He.said.It's the 3rd one he's had this summer he had to manually adjust. He said. I just had to adjust it little at a time then test ride it. Then a teeny bit more. Pretty sure it was the TVA
As long as you are happy with the arrangement, that is all that matters. 2 Hr labor sounds really reasonable.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1) I have to check the bill. 2) It started after replacing the battery. 3) The idle would.raise very little when reverse was actuated. Hope I answered all correct.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts