BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a 2000 LT that has sat since April 09. it is a long distance purchase with limited dealer service options nearby. But price is right. So I taking risk. My 01' LT has never sat more than a month. I am trying to identify the critical things to be addressed before risking long ride home. Obvious items are replace battery (it's dead, Jim), change engine/final drive oil and check tires. Possibly flush fuel and replace fuel filter if not stabilized. What else?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Check the service records. If it starts and runs around the block you should probably be OK to get it home as long as it has decent rubber. Once you get it home you might need to:

Flush clutch hydraulic lines
Flush brakes.
Flush radiator
Check brake pads
Don't forget the tranny fluid when you do engine/fiinal drive oil.
Check fuel line quick disconnects
Check final drive pinion bearings (rear wheel wiggle).

·
Registered
533 Posts
Add Sea Foam to the fuel when you start out and then every time you fuel up. It should help clean things out a bit. You can find it at most automotive stores.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ah, yes, Sea Foam! forgot about that. thanks. also, packing my spare fuel disconnects and shift linkage. thanks, guys.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,561 Posts
I would empty the gas tank - period. Re-fill with fresh + seafoam. I think I would also drain the oil (yes cold) and put in some cheap 10W40, run it up to temp and drain that as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'd remove the air cleaner intake tube to insure critters haven't set up shop or stored anything in there. You can also check under passenger seat.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,561 Posts
Ditto on that. I had a guy drive two hours to my house for a tech session and when we pulled the air filter we found about a pound of bird seed!!! No telling how long it had been in there.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
jzeiler said:
I would empty the gas tank - period. Re-fill with fresh + seafoam. I think I would also drain the oil (yes cold) and put in some cheap 10W40, run it up to temp and drain that as well.
Do we plan on that with the next motor??

·
Miles of Smiles
1,056 Posts
I remember reading about critters during storage many years ago.
This mod has been on now for 4 years with no adverse affects.
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
ccimino said:
I am considering buying a 2000 LT that has sat since April 09. it is a long distance purchase with limited dealer service options nearby. But price is right. So I taking risk. My 01' LT has never sat more than a month. I am trying to identify the critical things to be addressed before risking long ride home. Obvious items are replace battery (it's dead, Jim), change engine/final drive oil and check tires. Possibly flush fuel and replace fuel filter if not stabilized. What else?
If it starts , go for a ride get it good and hot then change the oil.. Don't baby it...

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but how many miles on the bike total?
With my own experience, and reading about the same with others, I would buy it with the firm belief that the main seal is going to go. Budget and/or negotiate the price with that in mind, and when it goes (clutch and all) you won't be too disappointed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I will not be able to ride for about 25 days due to work out of town. I added seafoam to the tank filled it up and rode it for about 15 miles after. What else should I do prior leaving it? Will I need to put a battery tender on it, or just have wife start it and run it for about 15 minutes every few days?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
30 days or so should not cause any issues, even with fuel. My LT has unfortunately sat for 6-7 weeks for the same problem (damn job). I would use the battery tender instead of having someone start the bike. Your wife would have to ride 15 minutes at 4000 rpm just to replenish the power used by starting. Of course, maybe that's her plan...

·
Registered
65 Posts
ccimino said:
30 days or so should not cause any issues, even with fuel. My LT has unfortunately sat for 6-7 weeks for the same problem (damn job). I would use the battery tender instead of having someone start the bike. Your wife would have to ride 15 minutes at 4000 rpm just to replenish the power used by starting. Of course, maybe that's her plan...

I did challenge my wife to be able to even hold it up, BOY did I mess up, my 5' 3" wife can tiptoe and hold her up. I am skeered now.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
My LT has unfortunately sat for 6-7 weeks for the same problem
Mine sat for four months last summer and it was on the tender the whole time. I fired it up after the hibernation and did a 400 mile ride on the first trip. No problems with the fuel and it had no treatment in it.
If I KNEW it was going to sit for so long, I would have treated the fuel just in case.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts