BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the current solution / options for replacement handgrips for a 2002 LT? Seems like there was a vendor at MOA rally in the past , but i wont be able to attend this year soo......... your input is appreciated

·
Registered
51 Posts

Try this link

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,508 Posts
You may be able to cover them with Grip Puppies if they are not too torn up. I have those on my grips right now and they have been on there 10 years past the 5 year warranty and are still fine. Also many have wrapped them with tennis racket tape.

Reactions: cws and txvoyager

·
Premium Member
107 Posts

·
Registered
K1200LT 2005
315 Posts
I just bought these on Amazon. Amazon.com: 127mm Open End Hand Grips for BMW F650 F700 F800 R850 R1100 R1150 R1200 K1200 with Heated Handlebars : Everything Else
You need 2x 1" inside diameter grips. Most grips come in two different sizes, to fit over bar (smaller) and throttle (larger.) Since you have heaters, both are same size. You can buy two pairs of 1" grips. (Each will come w/ 1x 1" and 1 x 7/8".) The ones I bought are open ended, so bar end weights will fit. I used silicone adhesive to close the end. The nearly identical ones w/ closed (almost) ends have been unavailable for months. Watch the videos for technique. You don't want to cut your heaters.

·
Premium Member
8,075 Posts
I also use grip puppies and mine are now probably 12 years old and still hanging in there. They have somewhat conformed to the shape of my hand, but overall are holding up pretty well for foam. The are just a little bit fatter than I like, but the stock grips were a little too small and I’d rather have a little too large than too small.

Reactions: UNclebudintx

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got Ariete Grips on Ebay last year. Just search for "Ariete Grips K1200LT". They are very close to the original ones, made of rubber and feel good in the hand. About $40, but they come from Germany, so may take awhile. I don't recall how long but less than 2 weeks.

·
Registered
K1200LT 2005
315 Posts
I got Ariete Grips on Ebay last year. Just search for "Ariete Grips K1200LT". They are very close to the original ones, made of rubber and feel good in the hand. About $40, but they come from Germany, so may take awhile. I don't recall how long but less than 2 weeks.
Those are the ones I was referring to in my post above. Mine came from a seller in SoCal, so a few days.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Whats the current solution / options for replacement handgrips for a 2002 LT? Seems like there was a vendor at MOA rally in the past , but i wont be able to attend this year soo......... your input is appreciated
Unclebudintx:
I learned on this site about a guy who found the grip puppies or grip buddies insulate your hands from the wonderful heat of heated grips too much for him. I found that to be the case also. He used 1 1/2" heat shrink tubing over the stock grips. It works great. The tubing is plenty "grippy" and does not stop as much heat getting thru to your hands as the grip puppies or buddies do. I can't seem to find the thread, but the tubing came from Grainger. Its about $15.00 a foot and you have to buy 3-feet. If you have several bikes like me it's a great way to go.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Unclebudintx:
I learned on this site about a guy who found the grip puppies or grip buddies insulate your hands from the wonderful heat of heated grips too much for him. I found that to be the case also. He used 1 1/2" heat shrink tubing over the stock grips. It works great. The tubing is plenty "grippy" and does not stop as much heat getting thru to your hands as the grip puppies or buddies do. I can't seem to find the thread, but the tubing came from Grainger. Its about $15.00 a foot and you have to buy 3-feet. If you have several bikes like me it's a great way to go.
Why not just replace them with a set of these.

Material property Office equipment Font Gadget Rectangle

·
Registered
K1200LT 2005
315 Posts
Those are indeed the ones I was referring to in my post above. Very close to OEM, but with open ends.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info, Ii think im gonna try the tennis racket wrap 1st, stick with the moto " the cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider"

·
Registered
27 Posts
Unclebudintx:
Yes, the Grip Puppies do insulate the heated grips, but if you're looking for durability and a strong grip I would recommend them. They also have held up to the heat, humidity and sun here in Florida.

·
Registered
414 Posts
It was an article in the BMW ON from November 2021 that the heat shrink tubing application is featured. Works great for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts