BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 LT needs the hand grips replaced. Dealer wants around $300 to replace. Too much for me. Can I replace them myself? If so, where do I bu;y them.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
322 Posts
My 2000 has badly worn grips .... I just put tennis racket overwraps on them. Cheap and functional. The heat transfers through them nicely and they give a bit of cushion too.

I used slazinger overwraps but any should work fine.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
If you have any hand cramping going on while riding, Grip Puppies work well to eliminate that. I was going to pass along a supporting dealer to this forum, but I just noticed that they don't support us any longer. They'll probably cost less than $20 shipped.
Installation has been discussed many times here. Search and find what might work best for you.

HTH,
Jer

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Hi , you can also use BMW PN# 32722332619, remove them from the plastic handlebar insert by rolling backwards over the sleeve they come with and then they slid over the heater element PERFECTLY. That is what I did . :wave

·
Registered
71 Posts
Steve,

If the grips you have right now are not too bad, just cracked, perhaps split in a few places, but not falling apart, just cover them with an appropriate length of bicycle inner tube. I bought 1 tube 2 years ago when one of my grips split from being too dry. I've covered them anew 4 times since and still have tube to spare. Total expenditure $3.95. And I've got money to spend on new ones if I did not like the look. Heat comes through fine and my wrist rest still fits.

Don't spend a bunch of money on the things you don't have to.

Paul - Houston

·
Registered
1,740 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I also installed the grip puppies over the existing grips. However, they have lost their ............GRIP. The throttle side wants to spin which is a pain. I have tried several adhesives, double sided tape etc. but it only lasts a few days and all the love is gone again.

My next plan is to use Gorilla Glue. I think most of the problem is I used soapy water to install them and we have had nothing but rain since the week before forever ago.

I like them and will eventually get them to work or the sun will shine for 2 days in a row and all will be healed.

Do NOT order the large size Grip Puppies, order the smaller size.

Loren

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
See attached PDF (Acrobat file) for a tutorial I wrote on grips replacement for the K1200RS.

99% of the tutorial is also applicable to your K1200LT.

Attachments

·
Registered
671 Posts
wa1200lt said:
I also installed the grip puppies over the existing grips. However, they have lost their ............GRIP. The throttle side wants to spin which is a pain. I have tried several adhesives, double sided tape etc. but it only lasts a few days and all the love is gone again.

My next plan is to use Gorilla Glue. I think most of the problem is I used soapy water to install them and we have had nothing but rain since the week before forever ago.

I like them and will eventually get them to work or the sun will shine for 2 days in a row and all will be healed.

Do NOT order the large size Grip Puppies, order the smaller size.

Loren

Oh great, I used soap too!

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
lenny said:
i dont see anything for grip replacement
See Patric's reply. Left handed grooved grips (for both sides). about $10 each- works great.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Jer, my 2001 grips are shot as well. I found the grip puppies on calsporttuoring.com for $9.80 (as stated) and they charge no shipping for mail delivery. Great buy! Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ordered mine today from Kuryakyn. They told me to remove the clutch grip or just roll it back and measure the handle bar. I ordered the size 7/8 # 6341 and Throttle Boss # 6318 UPS has scheduled the delivery for Monday. Should tell you on Tue how they fit.

·
Registered
210 Posts
How difficult is it to remove the grips without damaging the heating elements underneath?
Just use a sharp knife and gently, slowly, cut the old grips starting at the inside (toward the center of the bike) then when you think you are almost down to the heater element start pulling the rubber apart with your hands. Cut a little more, pull a little more working down toward the end of the bar until they peel off. Be patient and gentle and you can get them off without damage to the heater element.

+1 on the recommended BMW grips. I also used a bit of silicone glue inside of mine as I slid them back on then waited a full 48 hours to allow the glue to dry fully before trying them out. They have held tight since 2006.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts