BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode an LT for the last 8 years and looking at going to something a little lighter. My wife has started riding her own bike now so I'm not riding 2 up as ofter. I just test rode the new RT and was not as impressed as I thought I would be. Made me start thinking it may be easier to go over to the GT instead. Anyone else with any experience on all 3 bikes?

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
tkirklan said:
Anyone else with any experience on all 3 bikes?
Yes, and as you may imagine, this question has come up a few times before. :)

All three bikes mentioned are comfortable, handle well, get great mileage, and offer more amenities than most other brands out there. They each have their own strengths and weaknesses, so it's really up to the individual rider to decide what's most important to them.

The bottom line is that you need to go test ride a GT next, then you'll know which bike is right for you. :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
I rode a GL1800, loved it, but wanted a slimmer mistress.

Looked at both the GT and RT, settled on the RT because of ergonomics. When I first bought the RT I wasn't that impressed. After 1000 miles, smiles ear to ear. It's a pretty special bike. Just took awhile to realize it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Rode my LT four years. Loved it. Moved to the GT. The power saved my butt more than once. Agility is much better in urban environment than LT. For me the GT is the ideal ride, especially for 2-up fun. I added the 39L BMW topcase and it holds 2 helmets perfectly. Unlike the LT, all three cases are removable for fun rides when you don't need to take stuff along.

Good luck with your decision. Go ride them at the dealership. Take your time to decide.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Going from an LT to a GT is the best way to accumulate speeding tickets in a hurry. Or do anything else in a hurry. Cannot prove that by me, but I have a riding buddy how doubled his payment one month last summer.

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
WildBil said:
Going from an LT to a GT is the best way to accumulate speeding tickets in a hurry.
Yeah, I've "heard" the same thing . . . ;)

Let's see, my GT is almost three years old now, so those problems should start falling away soon . . . :cool:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I just went from an LT to a 2010 RT two weeks ago. I love it. What didn't you like about it? I really wanted to like the Gt because of the 4 cyl but the bike is not comfortable to me as a touring bike.
Ken

·
Registered
214 Posts
Like you I was confused on which to buy. GT or RT, back and forth, etc.

I bought an RT and pined for the GT. Bought a GT and within a month missed my RT and regretted buying the GT.

The GT is a fine bike, but just not as easy to live with.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I just went from an lt to a new rt love the lighter feel and handling tried the gt but bought the rt and very pleased.

·
Registered
10 Posts
All three are fine motorcycles. I have been in a very similar place as you are presently. Here are a few thoughts:

You have had 8 years of a smooth 4 cylinder BMW so I assume you enjoyed the feel. The GT gives you that feel with an extra 50 ponies and TORQUE load it down you will notice very, very little decrease if any in performance. This is a Sport/Touring bike, connected to the road, fair wind protection, adjustable ergos, a little o the sport side.

The new RT is a great package, more touring than sport, great wind protection all the great stuff. Outstanding machine. The question was for me and may be for you, are you a fan of the twin or the 4 cylinder.

For me the answer came down to performance, engine performance, and in this area the K wins hands down.

The great news is they Both are wonderful choices and are very easy to live with on a trip or as a daily rider.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am considering this same thing. Rode the 2010 RT and a 1200GT today.

RT - Great protection, good riding position, but did not like the vibration and "feel" at low speeds. Nimble. On the 2010, the mirrors are useless! Do not like the new japanese switchgear - feels cheap.

GT - The engine is incredible - feels like a turbine engine, and pulls like one too! Problem with buffeting, and not as comfortable, but still good. I rode the 1200, so curious about the changes with the 1300.

Ride home on the LT had me scratching my head. Maybe I will stay put. Maybe I can talk my other half into taking a test ride on the GT. Not sure if I will make the change or not, but the GT sure had me smiling.

All are good though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi guys!

I´ve got one question here: do you consider the wind protection better in GT than RT? I´m quite tall, 6´10 (186cm).
I drove RT 2005 last summer and was not really satisfied with the windscreens protection. LT was better!

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I have just gone from LT to RT...love the RT, fun bike to ride and I feel so much better getting it around in traffic...but....drove home from dealers last week and it was very, very windy... I was getting tossed around a lot more than I did on the LT and didn't like that. But as the ride went on I got more used to it, relaxed a bit, and went with the flow of the wind gusts and it wasn't so much of a problem by the time I got home. Haven't had the wife on it yet, so I can't comment on 2 up aspects. I am sure it is not as good as the LT, but for me, the fun is back in biking because of the handling of the RT. Don't know about the GT, but I find the acceleration on the RT pleanty for me, it was 2 weeks and 500 km before I ever got it into 6th gear. It is a heck of a lot faster when you twist the throttle than the LT was. I think we all really need one of each, but for me I can't afford it, and my garage won't hold them all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have owned 3 LT's, 3 RT's and 2 Gt's (1 of the new generation). I sold my last RT (2007) for the GT (2008). I live in Mesquite Nevada, my nearest BMW dealer is in Las Vegas. If I need any major work done on the bike I take it Orange County California (Seavers). I do my own minor services which to this point has been only oil changes, air cleaner services, again easy stuff. I was one of those that got caught up in the engine performance. How can anyone over look 150+ HP compared to 110, totally addicting. After living with the GT now for almost 2 years I wished I kept the RT. Yes the RT vibrates a little (if you keep the throttle bodies synchronized the vibration is kept at a minimum). The RT does not have the jet like acceleration of the GT (so addicting) and so much fun especially out here in the vast waste lands of Nevada where one can cruise near or at 100+ mph for hours (not that I would ever consider that or would suggest that to be safe or prudent).

Another consideration for me is I live 100+ miles from the closest BMW dealer. The RT is more user friendly when it comes to regular maintenances. The RT gives me better wind protection, the ergonomics are better on the RT especially in the knees, I like the stereo not available on the GT, to me the windshield is more affective on the RT. I currently have my GT for sale and I will be going back to the RT.

These are strictly my findings and a decision like this has got to be evaluated by you. I will say, ride both as many times as your dealer will allow. Time in the saddle will tell you more than anyone here.........Good luck.........Bob

·
Registered
186 Posts
Since this is a GT site, I'll say I have ridden the RT and it feels like a tractor in every respect compared to the GT. If I want yesterday's technology, I stay on my Harley and have lots more fun on a real motorcycle.

PS If I want superior wind protection, I stay in my car, NOT!

·
Registered
214 Posts
kapod2t said:
Since this is a GT site, I'll say I have ridden the RT and it feels like a tractor in every respect compared to the GT. If I want yesterday's technology, I stay on my Harley and have lots more fun on a real motorcycle.

PS If I want superior wind protection, I stay in my car, NOT!
I'd hardly call a DOHC boxer "yesterday's technology". To that end, I-4 engines in motorcycles have been around for what...60 years? This coming from a 2007 GT owner.

I won't touch the "real motorcycle" remark.

·
Registered
313 Posts
After a 600 mile test ride (yes, that's correct. And in ONE day no less) I now own all three. A 1150RT, 1200LT and now 1300GT. Funny thing is, they each shine in their own way. But to me the RT is still the favorite for all around best bike. The LT does great at the long haul, especially if you have to slab for a day or two just because of the cruise control and the nice comfy ride. The GT is phenomenal at the GO FAST department. When I'm riding it I know there are very few other cars or bikes that can touch it. Makes you king of the hill if you want. But, the GT doesn't have the ergos that the RT does. Even with the adjustable handlebars it still leans me over too much and after 500 miles I start to get a hot spot between my shoulders. The LT keeps me sitting upright, but I have to stop every 150 miles to let the feeling back into me arse. The RT is just right for me. But that's the key, for me. Not everyone out there is 5'11", 270 lbs and has the posture of a Raggedy Ann doll. The moral of the story is that all three are GREAT bikes and with a few farkles you can personalize any of them to be your dreamliner. Good luck with whatever you choose, but I doubt you'll be disappointed after a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I installed Verholen Bar Risers and they help alot! They run about $200 and install in minutes.

·
Registered
223 Posts
tkirklan said:
I rode an LT for the last 8 years and looking at going to something a little lighter. My wife has started riding her own bike now so I'm not riding 2 up as ofter. I just test rode the new RT and was not as impressed as I thought I would be. Made me start thinking it may be easier to go over to the GT instead. Anyone else with any experience on all 3 bikes?
I’ve been fighting this dilemma myself for some time now. I’ve seen your inquiry on other forums and please keep in mind that you are on a Forum dedicated to K Type engines.

Although I still change my mind from time to time, my next bike just might be the K1300GT. I did walk into a BMW dealership with a Credit Union check in pocket and turn around, walked out of a dream. There were still some niggling doubt and the thought of what the 2010 R1200RT might bring.

Then came the research into the Kawasaki Concurs - 14 with its no (none what-so-ever) lash final drive and a price tag $8K less. But, for now, I’m still sticking to BMW…maybe.

So to be honest with you I don’t know where I’d go or where you should go. They are both fine machines. Do a little more research. I have an entire external drive devoted to this type of research. I’ve found:

1. There are a lot of converts R1200RT to K1200/1300GT

2. There are a tad more converts K1200GT/1300GT to R1200RT

3. There are a lot of mind changers R1200RT to K1200GT then back to R1200RT

4. The R1200RT outsells the K1200/1300GT buy an exceptional amount. In fact the R1200RT ranks in the top 10 (usual around 5 or 6) selling bikes in the world…and it’s the only one over 600CC.

5. Despite the large numbers sold a used R1200RT is not easy to come by. I’ve looked for used RTs but the resell values are far too high for my likes.

6. It is a Buyer’s Choice when it comes to the GT. Resell is fairly low compared to the RT. There are quite a few GTs out there. Unlike with a used R1200RT, you don’t have to settle of a color that's available; you actually have choices and can take your time shopping without the fear of losing out on a good deal. There are LOTS of good deals on GTs. Lots of’em.

Average Resell Values (from my past findings):

RT $14,995
GT $14,080

2007:
RT $13,355
GT $12,700

2006:
RT $12,500
GT $11,900

7. Unlike the R1200RT, the GT is sometimes not a good fit (Comfort and Power) for the average rider. Too much power...not enough comfort.

8. K1200/1300GT owners for the most part (not all of them) tend to be more aggressive and outspoken. R1200RT owners tend to be more mild mannered. Whether this is true is a matter of opinion. But try reading posts from GT and RT Forums and its easy to see there is a difference in what is posted and how it’s answered.

There is really no way to know for sure unless one spends a great amount of time on each. Just about anyone can live with the R1200RT but the K1300GT is a “Yes” or “No” bike.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts