BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
I think he is referring to the R models. They don't use the center bolt.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
When you say 5 bolt are the later LT's (2005 +) different?
All model years of the K1200LT use the 5 bolt rear wheel.

Here's what I think I know about his final drive efforts:

Dave has been sourcing different gear sets from different model BMW bikes in his research of different final drive ratios. Some of those gear sets are from bikes which have a 4 bolt rear wheel. If I recall correctly, Dave has run some final drive setups on his K1200LT with only 4 bolts since the hub on the final drive gear set allows for only four bolts.

I imagine that some folks would be hesitant to run their K1200LTs with a 4 bolt mounted rear wheel (some BMW bikes do not have the center bolt that the KLT has). That's why Dave is working on making alternative different final drive gear ratios available that have the 5 bolt hub.

·
Registered
787 Posts

Dave has been sourcing different gear sets from different model BMW bikes in his research of different final drive ratios. Some of those gear sets are from bikes which have a 4 bolt rear wheel. If I recall correctly, Dave has run some final drive setups on his K1200LT with only 4 bolts since the hub on the final drive gear set allows for only four bolts.

I imagine that some folks would be hesitant to run their K1200LTs with a 4 bolt mounted rear wheel (some BMW bikes do not have the center bolt that the KLT has). That's why Dave is working on making alternative different final drive gear ratios available that have the 5 bolt hub.
I would really like to change my FD ratio to make it easier starting in first gear. I'm not concerned with top end speed as I ride two up 95% of the time and go the speed limit or less when cruising. Actually the ratio change might allow me to also stay in fifth gear at my normal back road twisty cruising speed of 50 to 55 so I don't have to go from fourth to fifth so much to keep it above 3000 RPM.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,981 Posts

That pretty much sums it up Curtis. :thumb:

·
Registered
787 Posts
I assume it is not simple as drilling and tapping the 4 bolt gear to make it a five bolt if you find the right ratio setup?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts