BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 LT's Fuel Gauge has decided to sit on empty. The computer fuel milage is still working fine. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
you have probably bent your fuel sending tube, it happens when you let the pump nozzle go and it bends the unit, it can be fixed, but it is a job as you have to take the tank off to get to it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
sheldan2 said:
you have probably bent your fuel sending tube, it happens when you let the pump nozzle go and it bends the unit, it can be fixed, but it is a job as you have to take the tank off to get to it.
What do you mean by "let the pump nozzle go"?

·
Registered
929 Posts
The design of the tube can be bent by the gas nozzle. Most fellows hold the nozzle so it does not put pressure on the tube. Letting it go allows the gas nozzle to dent the tube due to the prying action of the nozzle. The weight of the gas hose can put quite a bit of pressure on the tube. I hope I didn't muddy the water to much...

·
Registered
155 Posts
wrmoss said:
The design of the tube can be bent by the gas nozzle. Most fellows hold the nozzle so it does not put pressure on the tube. Letting it go allows the gas nozzle to dent the tube due to the prying action of the nozzle. The weight of the gas hose can put quite a bit of pressure on the tube. I hope I didn't muddy the water to much...

Not muddied, just not sure how I should hold the nozzle when I am filling. Where is the tube located in relation to the filler. How should the nozzle be placed?

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
straight up and down in the fill hole so it doesn't rest against the sides. You can let it touch but don't let the full weight of it push against the fill tube.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help, so to rectify the problem I take the tank off & then will be able to get at the sender that is bent & straighten it?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Not sure you can straighten it...you in fact may have to replace it.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
If you can run a socket down the tube to straighten it out and get the float to move freely then you are good to go

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Cape said:
Thanks for the help, so to rectify the problem I take the tank off & then will be able to get at the sender that is bent & straighten it?
Not sure you have to take the tank off. I think you can remove the right side tupperware and unbolt the fuel sender unit from the top of the tank and remove the tube and run a smaller diameter pipe inside the tube to straighten the kink out. 'Usually', the tube gets bent due to the fuel nozzle being allowed to move toward the back of the tank (toward the bike's seat) while inserted in the tank. I've always located the nozzle's trigger mechanism off to the right side of the tank while filling.

BTW - there should be some excellent write-ups regarding this bent tube situation in the HoW forums. Might have to search using a couple of different key words. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again all for the help. I will try the easy way first (socket down tube). Will post after I get a chance to attend to it

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
wrmoss said:
Not sure you can straighten it...you in fact may have to replace it.
It can be straightened. Here's what I used (carpenters square):

HTH,
Jer

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Jerry, that's a clever idea. I would've never thought of that....

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Razmataz said:
Jerry, that's a clever idea. I would've never thought of that....
Thanks. As you can see on the work bench, my first attempt to push out the dents was with a few drum sticks. Needless to say, I found a better way.

Have fun,
Jer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check your fuel tank vent system. If your charcoal canister is clogged, or the vent system is not working correctly (pinched hoses), your fuel tank will not vent and it will collapse inward. The result is a bent fuel sensor. Removing the charcoal canister is the quick remedy for this problem if the canister is to blame. If you hear a sucking (not air escaping) noise when you remove your fuel cap, you have a vent problem. If you don't fix this problem, you'll be fixing bent fuel senders on a regular basis.
Don't ask me how I know this. Go to the hall of wisdom for info.

Hope this helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts