BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 K1200 LT with 45,000 miles, which I bought last October.

Having previously ridden many bikes from GoldWings to sport bikes, I am quite comfortable leaning into corners.

I have noticed that when I take a left corner, if I lean too far, I scrape the edge of the center stand. Has anyone else experienced this problem??

Perhaps it is a sign that my rear shocks need to be recharged / replaced. If so, can anyone offer suggestions on rear shock improvement

Many thanks,
John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,745 Posts
John;

pretty common on a bike with those miles but......if you look under the seat, you'll spot the adjustment for the rear shock.....obviously you already know about it.........well, what may have happened is a little settling of the oil in it. Remove the unit from it's mounts and carefully remove the banjo nut/fitting. With a pencil or small dowel, push the piston back to the bottom of its travel. Then, refill the unit with hydraulic jack oil. Put it back together and you should be good. It should take only drops that you may not be able to measure. A syringe could be used I suppose. You'll notice the difference and that may get you off the center stand................. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,745 Posts
John;

You may want to check out HOW here on the forum .........seems like I forgot to mention that you'll need to roll that to the highest setting, then remove the banjo fitting and fill it ......... :think:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
And you can shift your rear toward the ground and get some more cornering clearance as that will allow the bike to stand up a little more...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,066 Posts
The only true cure that I found was to replace the stock shock springs with the Hyperpro rising rate springs. Do both shocks...the front is actually probably worse than the rear.

http://www.epmperf.com/hyperpro-springs.htm

I did not go and look at the prices list, but when I bought mine they were $239 for the pair. I now have over 80,000 miles on those shocks and springs and they still are going strong.

Ron
 

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
Joined
·
8,158 Posts
drjohn33576 said:
I have a 2002 K1200 LT with 45,000 miles, which I bought last October.

Having previously ridden many bikes from GoldWings to sport bikes, I am quite comfortable leaning into corners.

I have noticed that when I take a left corner, if I lean too far, I scrape the edge of the center stand. Has anyone else experienced this problem??

Perhaps it is a sign that my rear shocks need to be recharged / replaced. If so, can anyone offer suggestions on rear shock improvement

Many thanks,
John
Just shave off some of the rubber stop and the center stand will rest a little higher, giving more clearance. Put the bike on the center stand, get on the ground, locate the aforementioned rubber stop on the frame, and use a razor blade or similar to remove about half of the rubber. ;)
 

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
Joined
·
8,601 Posts
Just keep grinding till the foot is gone then it will not grind any more. :rolleyes:
Check the shock preload. but with the miles on the bike you need to upgrade the shocks. Either by respringing them as Ron said or replacing with a better shock. I went with Ohlins & the bike ran better then new. it is a little pricey but worth every penny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
Also on a 2002 and it will happen with both myself and wife on the bike. Check the pre-load. I just tried to load the link and had for the instructions to top it off and the link is no longer good. :( If you can find it the HOW, it's a cheap fix that works. Just wait until you do the right side too. :rolleyes: When riding in group the people who ride behind us like the fireworks display!

I found it here on the forum! Go right here: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=204247#post204247
Post #16 has the instructions along with pictures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
lartross said:
And you can shift your rear toward the ground and get some more cornering clearance as that will allow the bike to stand up a little more...
Centerstand, riders pegs, etc.

I though the riders pegs on ALL LT's were supposed to be ground into a "wedge" shape!!

You mean they aren't??? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,176 Posts
"I though the riders pegs on ALL LT's were supposed to be ground into a "wedge" shape!! "

That's only partially true. They're supposed to be sharpened to a razor edge so that when unsuspecting rodents attempt to cross your path, you can slice and dice.

On a more serious note, I was grinding holes through the side fairings. Put on a set of Wilburs and no more problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
OK So....... what do you guys & gals think about this ?
http://www.epmperf.com/hyperpro-motorcycle-shocks.htm
Hyperpro performance shocks / suspension. Anybody using them?
Their price sheet shows the front for $599 to $959, and rear for $709 to $959. (I think).
Those prices are for the whole monkey.
It's $269 for springs only (to be installed onto the existing Showa).
Are these good prices compared to brand X ?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,549 Posts
If you cut the rubber stop so that the stand is closer to the LT's belly, your foot peg will start draging, then, as mentioned, your tupperware.

Best from Tucson
Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Palerider said:
John;

pretty common on a bike with those miles but......if you look under the seat, you'll spot the adjustment for the rear shock.....obviously you already know about it.........well, what may have happened is a little settling of the oil in it. Remove the unit from it's mounts and carefully remove the banjo nut/fitting. With a pencil or small dowel, push the piston back to the bottom of its travel. Then, refill the unit with hydraulic jack oil. Put it back together and you should be good. It should take only drops that you may not be able to measure. A syringe could be used I suppose. You'll notice the difference and that may get you off the center stand................. ;)
First of all, make sure it is adjusted to the highest level. If it wasn't turn the knob the right direction and see if it helps.
BJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Just a word of wisdom. Be extra careful leaning those LT's over in a right hander. A good friend of mine was following me on his 00 LT up to Hot Springs, NC when we encountered a extra tight right hander. He just kept leaning her in til his center stand lifted/levered his rear wheel up off the ground and slid him out. That big girl took it amazingly well. It protected him, only a bit of shiny off his leathers, ground thru the tupperwear that covers the little wing crash bar and burnt a hole on his belly pan. No mirror, bag or side tupperwear damage. When he told me he laid it down I said no way, where's the damage! He had just picked her up and continued chasing me. Trail braking I asked....... http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif Oh and he has Ohlins on it!
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top