BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this board and not a LT owner yet. I am going thru the prep stages of trading my 03 1150RT for a 05 LT. One of my biggest concerns is being able to easily bring power up front for my toys ie... GPS, Roady and Amateur Radio transceiver. On the RT I bring pwr up to the tank bag and run it into a 6 circuit dist block. My question is how do some of you folks add your multiple electronic toys to the LT. Also does the LT radio have an audio input that can be used for the Roady or MP3 player. The bike i am looking at currently has the 6 cd player that i want removed before i buy the bike(I dont have many cd's and want the room in the RT side bag).
Fred

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I am not familiar enough with the RT to comment on it but the LT's options are virtually UNLIMITED. I have on mine the BMW V.O.I.C.E II which some may agree and others disagree is that BMW got it correct with this! All kinds of inputs for AUX, iPod, Cell Phone, FRS/handi-talkies, e.g. 2M/220 amateur radio gear etc. Two standard power outlets; one on left side of bike above foot peg and another in passenger area. Plenty of other place to add power outlets. BMR shelf can be added for lots of junk. E.g. On mine I have a Garmin SPIII AND Garmin 376C (XM Satellite Wx AND XM Sat. radio), Valentine RD, XM radio antenna/puck. Blah, blah, blah. So, more importantly LIKE THE BIKE but not to be worried about adding junk/farkles!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Bringing power to the Front

As many here on the board have done, I have brought power up front by running a pair of 12 AWG wires from the battery to a distribution block located under the front nose. This pair is best run under the gas tank, but you (and I have done this) can snake the pair from the nose area to the battery without going under the tank. I recommed sheathing the line to prevent chaffing. The line should be fused, and the distribution block (in my case a Blue Sea, about 3"x5"x2") provides from 4 to 12 fused lines and grounds for all of your accessories. There are other distibution panels available. You can mount this block over on the right side behind where the headlight adjuster is. From there you can draw power for numerous accessories. I use it for radar, satellite radio, GPS, HID relay, cell phone power.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks that is what i wanted to hear. Not sure what you are talking about when you say "nose" but I am sure that I will be able to find it. Just one more question on this subject, if you have it in the nose and running those toys do you have easy access to replace a fuse or do you have to take off plastic to get to the dist block?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I don't have a distribution block (Centech, among others) as I don't have any high amperage devices that cannot be handled by existing outlets. If you go 2M/1 1/4 M amateur radio stuff you will have to give some consideration to a distribution panel; but, as I best understand it the panel can easily fit under the seat for easy access. I suspect you are not going HF on the bike . . . antenna primarily and power requirements secondarily.

Regards

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks John
That voice II thing, is that BMW's intercom system you are talking about. I thought that was pretty pricey but may have to look into that. No I dont do HF on the bike due to antenna restrictions but have been known to carry my QRP radio with me, pwr it from the bike and throw a wire in a tree while camping.
Fred

·
Registered
76 Posts
I pulled some information off the old LT or another BMW list about less expensive AUX connections.

For some that with to add an XM unit, iPod or any other audio device, and use one 3.5mm connection, this is what I did.

I used the cable from the BMW Automobile side part number 65 120 153 501 (about $45.00) which plugs directly in to the open slot on the back of the Becker radios used on our bikes. I was considering this on the 05 R12RT I almost bought, but I did use it on the 05 K12LT I did buy.

I used it to connect my XM Roady. Once you get the "stingray" off the bike, the connection is rather simple.

I have wired everything and ran the cables on the left side of the LT along with other cables just for conveiniece.

If I were to add more things like you are looking to add I'm having a hard time finding systems that would allow me to install an intercom, CB and my XM for under $1200.00. Any alternatives? I'm all ears. I'm also told that I can't use my J&M Headset I had with my GL1800 on the LT with the Communication System. Something about the pins and what pin is powered.

Dave Allen

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
There are others Fred, e.g. Baehr, Autocom, and probably more. As I said, comm systems and ability to add these items will be the least of your concerns. Should you elect to go the 'used' route, most of the LT owners have indeed added comm systems.

If, you should go the used route, and I may take heat on this one, the '05's have added 16 more bhp, have change the rake/trail I beiieve for better low speed (5 mph parking lot speeds) handling, and the electro-hydraulic centerstand, FWIW.

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts