BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just moved to North Central Florida (Lake City) and it looks like I'll be doing a Clutch job? I'm pretty sure mine is gone, it's been slipping (I need to get her up to 4000 rpm's to get her to move) and I figure I better get her changed before it's to late So I'll probably start stripping her this weekend or next and working my way forward. Any one who has any suggestions/ tools or wants to help won't be turned away. I don't have a lift so I guess I'll have to do it on the floor, but at least I have a garage (or will once I get the boxes out of the way). Mines a 2002 LT and I have 49k miles but I figure the last 6 years of 3 and 4 miles each way in town to work have worn out the clutch. Any suggestions on parts. I have seen the list for the 2000 LT and wondered why the clutch housing cover is on there. Is this an item that normally needs replaced? I'm trying to save some money as we are still recovering from the cost of moving here.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,903 Posts
Think of the clutch housing cover as the "flywheel" and the pressure plate is just that but it is on the inside instead of the outside of the clutch disc. The clutch housing of course never needs to be replaced. Inspect when you get it apart and if there are no heat marks or fine cracks you can re-use both.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks that is some new info I needed. Not really looking forward to doing this as I'd rather go riding, but after reading so much about how others have gone into it I'm not really expecting any major problems.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,903 Posts
Get a couple of M8 long bolts and cut the heads off and slot them. Use them as guides to slide the tranny off. Leave the reverser switches on the tranny and disconnect the cable at the harness. They are fragile and often break if you try to remove them. Otherwise there are plenty of good threads here from those that have gone there before you.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
How long is long, JZ?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,903 Posts
3.5 " will do just fine.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
katnapinn said:
THIS will help you a lot.

That is a great write up Steve, it still makes me shudder thinking back to when I did it with Pastor Jack a number of years ago when my transmission wanted to destroy itself, and we went ahead and replaced everything while we were there anyway before putting in another transmission.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Feel fee to call me. I will tell you what I have done wrong on my clutch job.....so far.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I live in Fernandina. You're welcome to use my lift table.

PM me if interested. You'll have to do the driving though.

It will make your life easier. Your back and neck will thank you.

PM or call 904-583-9230.

Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts