BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some service work done on my LT Friday, and the Service Manager suggested that the LT as we know will be phased out. That they may make a RT version of the S. I finally got a BMW with some reasonable rider & passenger comforts yet has the agility that the Harleys and Gold Wings doesn’t. Could BMW really be considering such a move?

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Eliminate what!!!

Well they stopped making the K1100LT's
Second best motorcycle I have ever owned

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
the key words are, "as we know it."

think "refinement," not "phased out."

BMW in the last few years has been flexing some real engineering muscle. i wouldn't be surprised to see them launch a new LT with the next-generation motor in a year or two.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Revised LT

When I was at the BMW store in Munich last October 2004, they seemed to think we were 3 years or so (2007) from a new K12 that would have the new K40 engine in it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The current LT will be phased out. Certainly not for 06. BMW has been pretty quick bringing out a bunch of mew models so the LT as we know won't be around much longer. That doesn't present a problem for me-I am keeping the one I have no matter what BMW does with the LT.

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
This comes from what have previously been very reliable sources. They were spot on with the HID arriving in the 2006 LT, the release date of the K1200S and R, and have provided credible information on the new F800 and K1200GT.

The current run K1200LT will run through 2007.

A yet unnamed model is rumored to be replacing the K1200LT in the 2008 model year, and will be based on the new K-engine platform. "Lighter" is the operative word that is bandying about.

·
Registered
438 Posts
"Lighter" is the operative word that is bandying about."

Maybe "lower CG" is also being bandying about?

regards

·
Registered
740 Posts
As long as it remains a "Luxury Tourer", in the sense that it will stay at the top of the heap to compete with the Wing and others, then "lighter" is good and I am all for it. But if the intent is to evolve it into something we are totally unfamiliar with...something that would appeal more to the sport touring segment, for example...then I for one am not going to like it. Either way, I am still not about to start mounting stuffed animals to the trunk rack! :)

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Maybe a little K1800LT with a small V-6.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Ranger says no to stuffed animals

Uhmmm Mr. Ranger is that better

Attachments

·
Registered
855 Posts
Nah, should be on a string behind the bike. Then if anyone asks, you can say you're trollin' for wingers...................

·
Registered
370 Posts
Wonder if that new K engine can be bored out any bigger? Not sure if that would help us in the torque dept. or cause other problems.

·
Prodigal Son
1,297 Posts
"Wonder if that new K engine can be bored out any bigger?"
Rumor has it there is an"experimental" 1300 cc version testbed for the "tour-version"

·
Registered
396 Posts
I would be happy with what I would call a K1200RT. I love the 4-cylinder engine, but would like less mass. I love the handling of the R1150RT, but can't stand the twin engine (although I have never tried the R1200 with the balance shaft).

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Why follow the way of the whale 1800cc? how about more HP with tecnology instead? Or if the cc's go up keep the motor the same weight as the 1200.

The gold wing motor is still a low tech motor compared to the LT's 1200 power plant.

There is reason BMW stands for BAVARIAN MOTOR WORKS. Notice there is no mention of bavarian rear drive works :) Compared to all other brands mile for long mile what motor last the longest? it sure is not made in Milwaukee.

·
Registered
124 Posts
motorman587 said:
Maybe a little K1800LT with a small V-6.
One of the most-discussed issues with current LTs is its notoriously-high CG, and the low-speed handling quirks that result.

I agree a 6 cylinder engine could bring some welcome improvements to the LT, but wishing for that to happen in a V configuration may not be the best idea, since it would mean that a lot of the engine mass would still be up high. The way to get around that is to configure it as a flat six, as with the GL1800.

I in no way mean to infer that I'd like to see the LT be more like the 'Wing; nothing could be further from the truth. But the fact is that keeping weight lower is one thing the LT would benefit from.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts