BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't mean to sound stupid, but after doing the math the remaining weight available for 2 up and gear is around 380 lbs.. Is this right or am I missing something? 2000 LT, BTW. Thanks!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,927 Posts
I believe the wet weight is 856 and max GVRW is 1322, that leaves 466 for 2 up and luggage. Oops :eek: me and the little woman are over gross just two up!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
From the 2003 Owner's Manual (I know yours is a 2000):

Permissible gross weight: 1,323 less Unladen weight (ready to ride, full tank) 835 = 488 lbs.

Hope this helps -

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was off around 100#. Yes that does help. Thanks, gents!

·
Registered
120 Posts
1322 is gross as mentioned......you need to subtract actual weight to know what you have left. Fully fueled by most magazine test actual weights our LT's (99-04) are usually around 860lbs.

So as mentioned 1322-860 = 462 lbs. which is actually quite good for a bike. Most bikes have less actual usable payload recommendations. Down side is that alot of us are large people and easily exceed that just with ourselves and a passenger. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Shriker said:
... So as mentioned 1322-860 = 462 lbs. which is actually quite good for a bike. Most bikes have less actual usable payload recommendations. Down side is that alot of us are large people and easily exceed that just with ourselves and a passenger. :bmw:
10-4 on that.

I'm on the way home from Spring Break with the LT. Two-up, loaded top case, loaded side cases, pulling a loaded Uni-go trailer. I'm preeeeety sure we are exceeding the LT's GVWR. :(

·
Registered
168 Posts
Remember that the load limit may be your tires more than the bike itself. Check your tire rating before assuming that the BMW limits are correct. You likely have less of a safety factor than you think. Here is a quote from TJ Tennant of Bridgestone who gave us a terrific seminar at CCR07.

4) TJ presented results of recent research into touring motorcycle weight ratings and pointed out that, today, there are NO TIRES manufactured with sufficient rating to handle the combined weight of the bike, passengers, and trailer when braking. Hence, he strongly advocates against pulling any trailer with a motorcycle (although electric brakes on the trailer could be a remedy). His numbers indicate that a GW doesn't even have sufficient rating for 2 up riding let alone pulling a trailer. The K1200LT has sufficient rating for 2 up riding but only a very small amount remaining which would not be sufficient for any realistic trailer and load. He indicated that Dunlop is developing a higher rated tire which would provide sufficient capacity for trailer pulling and says that, if you must pull a trailer, go and buy this tire as soon as it becomes available.

You can read other messages from TJ at http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27349

1 - 7 of 7 Posts