BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in New Mexico. For those familiar with the Southwest you will know what I am talking about when I say that the wind seems to never stop.

How is the LT in the wind? Is it a sail, or does it handle the wind as well as an ST?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,118 Posts
I can tell you that the wind can blow her off of the side stand and on to her other side (happened in Las Cruces in March). She does feel the wind when you are riding her but she is pretty easy to control. I never had any issues as it helps wear out the side of the tires as you are leaning over just to go straight. She did wear me out coming down I-25 back into Las Cruces after a trip up to Silver City.

·
Registered
407 Posts
It catches the wind once in a while, otherwise it's like riding on rails. Compared to other bikes I have had, this is a heavy bike that behaves in the wind.

Worst bike ever in the wind for me was a Suzuki V-strom. Bring a change of underware if you ride the V in the wind.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I took a trip recently with two Harley cruisers. Very windy that day, all crosswind. I was two up with the wife. I passed a semi truck with a slight wobble, at least that is what one of the Harley riders said. He said he was preparing for the same results. He said that when he passed the truck it almost took him off his bike. Yes, you feel the wind, but not as bad as on other bikes. I don't have my trunk on at present though. I have replaced it with a luggage rack.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I live up in the Frozen Tundra and have more wind days than no wind. I personally like how the bike handles the wind. I often get comments on people not believing I rode in with the wind. The wind will blow you a little, you just point the bike where you want it to go and it goes. The most I have been blown is half a lane, that was 30 or 40 mph cross winds that were gusting, not a constant wind so you had to keep on your toes.

I am not sure how the bike can be blown completely over. Maybe if you park on the side of a hill with the bike stand up the hill so it is not leaning over good. I turn the bike so there is plenty of lean when I leave it out when there is lots of wind or I look for a wall that will block some of the wind.

I do have to lower the windshield when there is a lot of cross wind, this helps a lot. I have pretty much stopped checking the weather now that it is warm enough that I don't have to worry about the ice and just ride. If there is too much wind I may slow it down some.

·
Registered
635 Posts
tonygret said:
It catches the wind once in a while, otherwise it's like riding on rails. Compared to other bikes I have had, this is a heavy bike that behaves in the wind.

Worst bike ever in the wind for me was a Suzuki V-strom. Bring a change of underware if you ride the V in the wind.
:histerica :histerica Love it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I agree with the majority here. I have never had a real problem. I think the most wind we (my wife and i) ever took from the side was going down the slab while at the BMWMOA rally - it felt like 50 but probably was less.

Just as it is with rain, the electronically adjustable windshield gives you some flexibility with cross winds. You can dial more headwind by lowering the screen and that helps balance the broadside. You are still going to be leaning into it, but dialing the right balance removes some of the buffeting.

It has been a windy spring riding here in N. IL and S. Wi. But its that or riding in the cold Spring rain.

Bill

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I have had a little different experience having been once blown over by the wind while on my LT.

I had parked between 2 vehicles in a parking lot along side the Columbia River. Came time to leave so I put her in reverse and started to back out. The upwind vehicle was a full size pickup and when the top case got past the end of the pickup over she went! Nothing I could do except hit the handlebar kill switch! No damage of course.

As far as riding at highway speeds the LT is quite stable in the wind. I have never been blown out of position even in gusty crosswinds. I think the weight helps. The bikes weight not mine:mad:!

Loren

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
AGREE! Agree! Agree!
Move over New Mexico you want to talk about wind I, we are holding the title. The Mid West and when you narrow it down to Chicago well say no more. The LT is not a sail when it's in motion. But standing still I might agree with you. I was waiting in the intersection to make a left turn this spring ok a month ago and one of our traditional healthy gusts tried to blow me over. If I was not prepared for it I could have been heading north sideways. Once I completed the turn everything was back to normal. The bike could easily handle a frontal assault or from the back for that matter.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Coastie3202 said:
I live in New Mexico. For those familiar with the Southwest you will know what I am talking about when I say that the wind seems to never stop.

How is the LT in the wind? Is it a sail, or does it handle the wind as well as an ST?
Had this discussion with some of the same folks in this thread a year or two ago. My experience has been that at the correct angle and enough wind, the LT is one big sail.

It's not a deal breaker but something you need to be aware of. A light grip helps, but it takes some getting used to - especially w/ strong uneven gusts. I'm talking in the 45+ mph range (or how much wind does it take to really blow sand, or tumble that tumbleweed at a good pace, or make big rigs pull over).

Steady, strong wind isn't really a problem, because you can lean into it and even set your wings to effectively set a trim. But those strong, unexpected desert gusts can move you a full lane or more if it catches you right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts