BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed Suburban peg lowering brackets on my foot pegs and an Ilium brake lever on my '99. Really like the result.

I couldn't find any manufactured shift lever comparable to what Ilium did on the brake side, so I tried to adjust the linkage on the shifter. As you may guess, the result was the shift arm scraping the body work, so I returned the adjustment to stock length.

Is there manufactured lowered, extended shift lever out there that I missed?

Thanks,

JD

·
Registered
876 Posts
I installed the same kit and found that the pegs scrape way too easily when loaded and 2 up, so on the advice of a person on the forum, changed the brackets over to offset the pegs differently. They are still forward but not as low. This helps with the brake lever position, but on my '05 I cut off the knurled steel brake pedal capping and lowered it by approx 10 mm (easy to do and looks fine on completion). For the gear lever, I needed to adjust the longer of the 2 linkages by 2 turns (2 mm) to extend it and push the gear lever down. All good now, but the gear lever is a little close to the peg really, but ok.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
Roamrider said:
I installed Suburban peg lowering brackets on my foot pegs and an Ilium brake lever on my '99. Really like the result.

I couldn't find any manufactured shift lever comparable to what Ilium did on the brake side, so I tried to adjust the linkage on the shifter. As you may guess, the result was the shift arm scraping the body work, so I returned the adjustment to stock length.

Is there manufactured lowered, extended shift lever out there that I missed?

Thanks,

JD
Jeff - take a read thru this post from back in the day!! ;)

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
Ilium Works make a cap that slides over the existing shifter. It lengthens the point of contact with your boot, and makes it a little bigger in diameter. I have used it on two LTs.

Once you install the Suburban Machiner peg lowering kit you have to monkey with the shift and brake pedals. Their products fix both of these problems. :)

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
Howard nailed it!
I had that and the Iliumworks brake pedal on my 99 with the Suburban Machinery lowering kit.
It helped tremendously.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
14wntr said:
Are you sure it is not bent? I lowered mine after using the same pegs without an issue.
Kirk,

The shifter arm, etc doesn't appear to be bent. I had it off the pivot to grease things when I was in there. All looked fine. I extended the linkage about 1/2 an inch figuring it would yield over an inch drop at the end. I loose bolted things up to test the fit and the back of the shift arm scraped the lower fairing. Maybe things will line up better when everything is snug.

I'll give it another try this evening.

Thanks,

JD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts