BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to install the SM lowering peg kit on my 07 RT
I understand how they fit but I don't understand how to take the original pegs apart
How do you remove the pegs?
I understand that I have to remove the pin at the end where the spring is attached but how do I do this?
What tool can I use?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
You will remove the circlip (item1) to get the pin out. Normally this can be done with a small flat tipped screwdriver under the center of the clip and then pried out. It will snap out so be ready to catch it or it may disappear.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
That's exactly what I needed to know.
All I need now is to find some time to do the job :(
Thanks again for your help

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
That clip is sometimes called snap ring, "outside snap ring clip". There are inside ones too. This is flat with holes at each end. There are pliers with little points that fit into the holes and will spread it a little so you can slip it off the end of the pin, not over the diameter sideways. Going sideways will spread it too far to safely reuse it. Having the snap ring pliers in your drawer will be handy someday next time you run into one. Of course there are several sizes of rings and pliers. :wave Take the whole assembly to your auto parts store, Sears or some other tool source and get the correct size.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I am not certain that the cir-clip on the peg is a snap ring type.

I have not looked at mine in the last year or so but I'll venture that the part is a circlip and all you need is a very small screwdriver to pry with.

Snap rings have "ears" with holes for the pliers. Circlips dont have holes but they do have notches.

Word to the uninitiated home mechanic though... when you open or pry off either one... put a shop rag over the part you are working on to catch the ring or clip otherwise the part will dissappear out of the known universe and you will be having an unplanned trip to the parts store... DAMHIK.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I'm with Hopz - I remember circlips down there, not snap rings.

JayJay

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I am going to go ahead and confess that my language was incorrect... Cir-clips have the two tiny holes and you use Cir-clip pliers to expand them for installation or removal.

"Snap rings" is a poor choice of description and the term E-Ring is appropriate. Thanks (again) to Ponch. He is correct.

And now, for the rest of the story... just to be sure, I went down to the garage and looked at the mount(s) of the pegs. The starboard side passenger peg has a pin holding the peg on...but NO Clip of any kind in the "groves" of the pin. NAKED! Yikes! As I mentioned previously these things have a way of flying off into never-never land. Thanks for the nudge you-all. This is better than having Mrs Hopz's peg falling off on a trip. That could not lead to good things.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Uh, yeah, headslap. I said "circlip" when the correct term is "E ring" (thanks to Ponch for correcting). "Circlip" and "snap ring" seem to be more or less synonymous. And there are internal snap rings (that fit into a groove on the inside of a bore) and external snap rings (fit into a groove on the outside of a shaft). Sized properly, an external snap ring could possibly be used in place of an E-clip.

JayJay

·
Registered
25 Posts
My first BMW was a 65 K mile 2000 R1100 RT It had S.M.peg lowering adapters on it but it was lacking E-rings ( guess they just disappeared into that black hole out there) however the pins had been secured with a small piece of 12 or 14 ga. copper wire, similar to a cotter pin.It worked & didn't have to worry about rust.

Bruce 2006 R1200RT
St. George, UT

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did the installation today.
It took about 15min to change the 2 pegs and the clips remained part of this world. :)
It Took me longer to adjust the brake lever and I didn't touch the shifter. So far, I kind of like the extra space to slip my foot. Time will tell if I leave it like this or lower it.

One thing though. I realized that the spring on my right peg is a lot weaker than the one on my left one.
Is there a way to tighten it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts