BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just wondering how easy it would be to lower a 05 RT1200 non ESA? Is it a case of just installing the lower shocks, or would that be too easy?

Ady

·
Registered
472 Posts
Not that easy. The side and center stands need to be cut down, also.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Most of the time you just get lower shocks. I have a good ride buddy who did it.

The side stand is easy enough to modify. Its just a saw off a section and weld it back. Good paint and you are good to go. Most guys leave the center stand alone even though it is a bit harder to get up on it.

Figure $2000 for the deal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Since this subject came up I'd like to ask the opposite question. I want to put Ohlins shocks on my factory low 2009 RT but Ohlins doesn't make shocks for the factory low bike. Is the swing arm or upper shock mount different too or will the Ohlins for a regular bike work fine? Sorry, not meaning to hijack the thread but it seemed like a good spot to pose this question.

·
Registered
76 Posts
prostreetdon said:
Since this subject came up I'd like to ask the opposite question. I want to put Ohlins shocks on my factory low 2009 RT but Ohlins doesn't make shocks for the factory low bike. Is the swing arm or upper shock mount different too or will the Ohlins for a regular bike work fine? Sorry, not meaning to hijack the thread but it seemed like a good spot to pose this question.

I am not sure about the regular bike shocks, but have yuo considered go with a Wilbers instead of Ohlins?

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Agree... go Wilbers.

They will set them up for your weight as well as desired ride height.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for the Wilbers suggestions. I'll check into those. I was just assuming that Ohlins were the way to go. One track mind I suppose.

·
Registered
76 Posts
prostreetdon said:
Thanks for the Wilbers suggestions. I'll check into those. I was just assuming that Ohlins were the way to go. One track mind I suppose.
Here are some links for information.

http://www.wilbers.de/en/bmw.php

http://wilbersamerica.com/?gclid=CKKap4yinq8CFacRNAodFU0x-Q

When it is time to replace my stock ESA shocks, I will be giving them a call. I have not used them but everyone I have talked to that has them are very happy to recommend them as an upagrade to the OEM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts