BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I loered an 05 RT 1.5" with some Hyperpro shocks.
I need some help or guidance on how much to shorten the side/center stand to make them work correctly.
I have it on the center stand now and will shorten the side stand first.
Then I will shorten the center stand when I have the side back on.
Winter and hand in casr makes this the obvious time to get it changed over.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Are the stands on the lowered version of the RT different than the standard? If so, you could buy them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ponch said:
Are the stands on the lowered version of the RT different than the standard? If so, you could buy them.
Yes, there are a set of shorter stands availeable for the lowered RTs.
The factory lower RTs are about an inch shorter in height and the factory shorter side stand still leaves the bike a bit too verticle for comfort.
I was looking to see if someone knew the correct length reduction fro a 1.5" lower bike.
Thank you.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Couple two three ways to do it.

1) dig a hole and drop the side stand in till you get the angle you want. Measure top to bottom of the hole and cut that much off.

2) Put the bike on a platform, 2X4's shim the bottom of the side stand till you get the angle you want. Place a level from the top of the platform, 2X4's, across to the side stand and cut there.

3) Cut the side stand a few inches above the pad,(tube) have a helper hold the bike at the angle you want, hold the cut piece next to the side stand, mark, cut, insert tube inside side stand tubes and weld.

4) Cut the foot off the side stand, cut the tube in small amounts till you get the angle you want, weld the foot back on.

You don't need to shorten the center stand unless it's to hard to put it on the stand. If you can get the bike on the center stand, leave it be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts