BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I buy any lower peg kits, does it means that automatically I need to buy also a gear shift and brake lever, or can the original parts be set up differently ?
thx
Thunder '10 RT 1200

·
Registered
29 Posts
Chef,
Added the Suburban Machinery lowering kit this winter and had planned on adding the Extended Shifter, but have found that I really do not need it. The $300+ played a role as well (I first thought it was gold plated). Have big old size 12 boots and change did not affect my shifting. I did remove the shifter and reattached it one spline notch down (if that makes sense). http://ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=47526 shows old and new one with the one inch additional length.
The brake change was definitely not needed on my bike. Adjusted the Brake mechanism to pitch it down further and it works great.
Took my RT on the Horseshoe Bay Ferry right past your beautiful island last Summer. Good luck on your choice.. Pat

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I put the peg lowering set on my '08 RT and adjusted the brake and shift levers for my big boots and it made a hugh difference. No need to buy different brake and shift levers as the OEM are adjustable.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I can see that its easy to lower the brake but it looks really hard to get at the splined gear lever. There is not enough room to slide the gear lever off the splines ?

Kev

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Hey Big

Yes, adjusting the shift lever is often needed when adding the peg lowering device or getting new boots. I had to do it. The good news is that it is very easy.

To make the job easy, do the following:

- Put bike on Centerstand
- Remove clutch side side case (pannier)
- Remove the foot peg mounting plate. I think there are 4 easily accessible screws. This exposes the shifter and its attaching screw.
- Before you do anything else, put bike in neutral and measure the distance from the shifter to the floor. Write this down.
- Remove the Screw/Pinch Bolt that holds the shift lever on. Note, removal, not loosening.
- Pull the shift lever off and reposition one or more notches on the spline. You will see that one notch is about an inch. Re- Measure, record the number. One was all I needed to adjust mine when I got my new Alpinestars Boots.
- Reposition everything and see if it feels like it is enough.

Whole thing takes about 15 minutes... if you already have the Torx Socket for the Shifter spline pinch bolt.

Difficulty level = Easypeasy.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Let's not forget that the shifter arm can be adjusted to high, middle and low positions with just an allen wrench.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts