BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lowered the engine to replace the clutch.

Predictably I have the throttle body lower boots loose. (engine side of the throttle bodies)

I wish I saw a thread that included loosening the hose clamp on the lower so the upper non adjustable boot connection would not have disconnected.

I have played with fixing it and in the process I am not happy with any of the boot connections.

Is there a shortcut to temporarily remove the throttle bodies and lube and reposition all the boots? I would like to have the slip come from the adjustable clamps and then push the whole assembly down and then tighten the clamps.

It has to be right or the bike won't run correctly.

If you do a clutch replacement I would advise loosiening the adjustable clamps before doing the clutch and then reassembly would be much easier.

This must happen to everyone who does a clutch job, so before I make things worse how do I fix this? Do I need to lift the whole assembly and then reattach the upper and then lower the assembly?

Thanks,

Ian

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
Same thing happened during my first engine tilt. For starters I dropped it way lower than needed.
The intake tubes almost came of the air-box. I removed that air-box and pushed the tubes back in with a plastic tool until the o-rings were seated properly.
I loosened the upper clamps on the boots for cyl 2-4, replaced the non-reusable clamps for cyl 1-2, and then dropped the air-box into them and tightened.
The photos show how tight things are in there...
Due to other issues I had to drop the engine completely and removed the fuel rail and throttle bodies.
If you haven't removed the left radiator fan assembly things will be pretty cramped. Also the left bracket (the one that holds the crash bar) should be off.
This should give you enough hand access to make sure the boots are properly installed with no air leaks.

Attachments

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Both of my LT's have the adjustable clamps on the whole throttle body. You just have to be careful on how you position them to make sure you have wide open throttle.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,924 Posts
I elected to remove the whole assembly when I did my clutch job. Made it a lot easier.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Remove air box . I would also unclip and free the radiator , failure to do so COULD unseal the radiator lowers. then tilt motor.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On tip I would pass on to others if you have to take the throttle bodies off, undo the engine vent hose.

It is on the other side next to the two fuel lines. It is held on with a hose clamp. If you take it off before removing throttle bodies you will not have to worry about it seperating from the throttle body manifold.

I managed to take everything off and after playing with the vent line I have everything reassembeled properly. Now my throttle cable gave way, I had the routing on the cables wrong and gave a twist of the throttle and the cable popped.

I need to do the update anyway to time to drop a little more coin before reassembly.

Ian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts