BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so psyched that I can finally put my bike together - got the tank on and connected and started filling it up - then #*&%^*$/!!!!, :brick: I have a leak in the lower cap. I took the tank back off, took the cap off and inspected the gasket again, it looks good! Is there anything I'm missing - grease, gasket seal, etc.? Or, do I just need to torque it down even tighter?

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,411 Posts
The only way to make sure she seals is to have that area of the tank and the rubber seal very clean and totally dry! (Dry is important) Insert the gasket and make sure it is well seated then clean the side of the fuel pump flange that will contact it and make sure it too is dry. Then set the flange on the gasket and install the big nut. I like to smear a slight amount of vaseline between the outside of the flange and the nut where they will rub as you tighten it. (None on the seal) Check the alignment arrow on the flange and align with the arrow on the tank. Tighten the nut with a good strap wrench. Secs call for 30 Nm but just take it as far as you can with a strap wrench. She will be leak free. If you are successful mark a white line on the nut and tank so next time you will know how tight to get it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jzeiler said:
The only way to make sure she seals is to have that area of the tank and the rubber seal very clean and totally dry! (Dry is important) Insert the gasket and make sure it is well seated then clean the side of the fuel pump flange that will contact it and make sure it too is dry. Then set the flange on the gasket and install the big nut. I like to smear a slight amount of vaseline between the outside of the flange and the nut where they will rub as you tighten it. (None on the seal) Check the alignment arrow on the flange and align with the arrow on the tank. Tighten the nut with a good strap wrench. Secs call for 30 Nm but just take it as far as you can with a strap wrench. She will be leak free. If you are successful mark a white line on the nut and tank so next time you will know how tight to get it.
Thanks so much for the details steps - really appreciate it! I cleaned the gasket, the nut (not me :D ), and the flange on the fuel pump. Upon closer inspection of the gasket, there is some degradation of the face of the perimeter (see pic). I can get a new one, just have to go 50 miles south to Albuquerque to get it - think I need one?

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,411 Posts
It really does not look that bad. You should be able to get it to seal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts