BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't send the darn thangs by PM, so gonna see if this'll work.

Ole Toad's lowers - both sides and chin piece - were repainted using Krylon #1404 (IIRC. Cans are currently in storage). There is another Krylon color that is a close match, butt I don't recall the # (it too is in storage).

Frank, if you read this, lemme know if you wanna try a can or two. I think it took two cans to do it all, with several applications.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
That really looks good Dick. Puts mine to shame (see below) . I guess if you paint all 3 pieces, it doesn't matter a big whole lot if the color match isn't zactly rite on target?

BTW,

I cannot post pictures to a PM either.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Wow, thank you Dick. I don't think (hard to tell through photos) that your color matches mine, but then again I like yours a whole lot better'n mine! I think I'll try your color after all. Heck, if I screw it up, I can always paint it again. Yours look great, but I question that you would be painting on Valentines day (dates on your pictures) and not catering to your sweeties desires. Oh well, guess that separates you Texicans from the rest of us hopeless romantics. :wave

Boatzo, I have the same holes in my lowers. Had you considered a repair? I think it was either Ernie or John that was going to try some newer plastic repair, and was hoping to hear how they faired with it.

Thanks again Dick.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fpmlt said:
Wow, thank you Dick. I don't think (hard to tell through photos) that your color matches mine, but then again I like yours a whole lot better'n mine! I think I'll try your color after all. Heck, if I screw it up, I can always paint it again. Yours look great, but I question that you would be painting on Valentines day (dates on your pictures) and not catering to your sweeties desires. Oh well, guess that separates you Texicans from the rest of us hopeless romantics. :wave

Boatzo, I have the same holes in my lowers. Had you considered a repair? I think it was either Ernie or John that was going to try some newer plastic repair, and was hoping to hear how they faired with it.

Thanks again Dick.
That camera did double duty back then - weren't painting that day, just taking Valentine pics and snuck ole Toad's fairings in!! ;)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
fpmlt said:

Thanks again Dick.
Yes Frank, I have been considering repairing the holes. I have used with success, a product from West System epoxies. Sorry I can't remember the product number, but I used it on part of the tip over wing where the screw hole was busted. Also used it on the front fender where it was cracked at the bracket. It is pretty hard to sand though.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I finally got around to painting the lower nose piece. Unfortunately, I like it so much I'm going to have to do both sides too. It'll be a while, but I'll post pics of them when I'm done.
Here's a couple'a pics, and the product I used. As you can see, I did use a plastic primer, and I used some glazing/spot putty on the deeper rock chips. And I think I'll hit it with clear when I get all the pieces painted.

Guess I either thank or blame Dick for motivating me to get this done. Haven't decide which yet. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I used some Duracolor wheel paint on mine that was so close you couldn't tell..

But I did all three pieces as well....

Works good..

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts