BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, Need some help.

I am trying to replace the right side lower fairing below the tip over wing. Had gotten a new one in an insurance settlement a while ago. While I have the upper one off for some other work, I figured I might as well replace the lower one.

Removed all the screws and the plug from the power outlet. But there is one female type nut that remains attached to the fairing just above the power outlet. Its in some kind of rubber grommet. Can this be removed and moved to the new fairing? If so, How??
The new fairing did not come with this female fastener attached.

This is on a 2003 LT

Thanks

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Grif,

Do you need a special tool to install the new one or does it just crank into place when installing the fastener?

Guess I need to make a trip to the dealer or put the old one back on.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
sprdoorman said:
Thanks Grif,

Do you need a special tool to install the new one or does it just crank into place when installing the fastener?

Guess I need to make a trip to the dealer or put the old one back on.
It just pushes into the hole, then you screw the fairing into it. You also have them under the tip over bars, 6 on each side. Those, and circlips, are handy to keep around if you work on your bike alot.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
grifscoots said:
Those are called wellnuts and you'll need to replace it. The cost of one will freak you out and you pretty much have to get them from BMW.
I bought 8 wellnuts for £10 a couple of weeks ago, without looking at those fitted to the LT, I don't think there can be much difference, the screw that came with them are about the same size as LT fairigng screes.

Motrax Aluminium Screen Screw Kit is what I got. http://www.intobikes.co.uk/products?id=001205&rg=12&search=screen+screw&sg=AND&sf=latest&sd=DESC

There is a picture.

·
Registered
61 Posts
grifscoots said:
Those are called wellnuts and you'll need to replace it. The cost of one will freak you out and you pretty much have to get them from BMW.

Bikebolts Sportbike Fasteners has well nuts starting at .67 ea. for 5mm up to I think $2.33 ea. for 8mm. I have used this company before as a supplier of fasteners for my rice bikes. May be worth getting a few to keep around as they tend to dry-rot over time.

Steve

http://www.bikebolts.com/catalog/

:wave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts