BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an alternate source for the windshield screws (466 32 351 521) at a fraction of the cost. Same dry 3M Scotchgrip lock patch (don't use liquid Loctite as it will harm the windshield). Only difference is that it's a Phillips drive instead of hex - which should be OK since this is a low-torque joint.

3M says the Scotchgrip fasteners can be reused, because there are enough thread-locking micro-capsules that rupture each time to secure the joint. However, the design engineers here at H-D who have tested Scotchgrip fasteners on Harley vehicles say the fasteners need to be replaced after 6 uses.

Not long ago, I was riding to work when my windshield started vibrating awkwardly as I raised & lowered it. I pulled over and discovered that one of the bottom fasteners had worked completely out.

So I figure about every 5th or 6th time I pull my windshield off, I'd better start using fresh fasteners.

My dealer wants close to $3 per screw, and Chicago BMW wants $1.60 plus shipping. I could probably send out sets of 4 for $5 including S&H (savings of about $8 over Chicago), or sets of 25 for $30 (save $16.50) or sets of 50 for $50 (save $36.50).

If there's enough interest out there to get this going, I'll order a batch and see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I'll take a batch of fifty, and can redistribute locally to the folks here at cost, saving you time packaging them individually. Another excuse to meet up with friends works for me! :)

Lemme know whether you want payment via PayPal or a check by snail mail.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
deputy5211 said:
I'll take a batch of fifty, and can redistribute locally to the folks here at cost, saving you time packaging them individually. Another excuse to meet up with friends works for me! :)

Lemme know whether you want payment via PayPal or a check by snail mail.
So.. uh... do you consider me local?:D

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Josmas said:
Zippy, I'll meet you at your house and we can ride down together. :D
No problem Joe. I am always up for a ride!:D

·
Premium Member
3,138 Posts
Please save me 8 or so until I get to your house.

Thank you,
Lee

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Me too...

Hi Dave,
I would definately take 8 (shipped). Let me know when. I'll also be watching the thread.
Thanks,
Jer

·
Registered
297 Posts
Count me in for a handful, Dave. Got 4 different 'shields I switch between and figure mine are losing grip about now.

Will keep an eye on the thread for more information..

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Dave, I would also be interested in a few w/s screws if you are able to make this happen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts