BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings all,

I did a pretty thorough search using various key words and did not find a thread about the possibility of lowering a 1600. I sat on a GTL in Santa Fe in July 2011 and found it to be entirely too tall for my 27" inseam. If I could get the balls of my feet on the ground as I do with my lowered RT I would be tempted to buy one. Unfortunately, the "test sit" had me with both feet pointed nearly straight down to be able to touch both. With a bike over 700lbs, I don't want to rely on leaning it over every time I stop.

SO, question is, "has anyone lowered a 1600 either with low seat or low suspension or both?"

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Seriously? Two months with only 200+ views and no one out of over 32000 registered users and not a single person has information about lowering a 1600. :wave hellooooooooooo-anyone out there?

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Although this is mainly a LT forum, have you tried asking on the K1600 forum?

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
Greetings all,

I did a pretty thorough search using various key words and did not find a thread about the possibility of lowering a 1600. I sat on a GTL in Santa Fe in July 2011 and found it to be entirely too tall for my 27" inseam. If I could get the balls of my feet on the ground as I do with my lowered RT I would be tempted to buy one. Unfortunately, the "test sit" had me with both feet pointed nearly straight down to be able to touch both. With a bike over 700lbs, I don't want to rely on leaning it over every time I stop.

SO, question is, "has anyone lowered a 1600 either with low seat or low suspension or both?"
As stated this is primarily an LT forum but our sister site K1600Forum has a ton of info about the K16 on it.

Now to your question... Yes I have lowered my K1600GTL about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. A forum member on K1600Forum CNC cuts a new set of lower rear shock brackets that will allow to to lower 1/2 to 1 1/2 inch or even rise up to 1 inch depending on what you need. If you lower more then what I did you will have to shorten the center and side stands.

Here is a Thread from when i got mine from David.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Or, if you're in the market for a new bike, the 2017 K1600B (bagger version) rear suspension is lowered 3 inches.... :sun:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I get to a point I can afford a gently used one, I will certainly look into the lowering links as mentioned. I also have built my own lower seats for my Y2K collection. That includes an R1200C, R1100RT and an r1100S. The RT and S both have shorter shocks which dictated I shorten the side stands.

That brings another question to mind on the 1600; is the original seat fairly thick like most other beemers? If so, I can likely gain at least 1.5 inches with my own build.

BTW glad to see there are live bodies out there somewhere. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Cruisin, The K1600 has three seats, low, med, & high. Most dealers order it with the medium.
You need low but could also have any seat custom built to fit your 27" inseam and I think that is the limit, some have 26" & do ok. Depends on your posterior size.
Also, run the bikes suspension set at one rider without luggage for your test ride.
As posted above, go to the k1600 forum for more a detailed personalized k1600 info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts