BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to offer an observation about windshields after my recent epiphany.

After riding my LT for 2 1/2 years and exeprimenting with various windshields, something possessed me to buy a short windshild but I had left it in the basement uninstalled. I had switched from the stock w/s to the Cee Bailey's -4" #2. It worked pretty, kept wind noise down, kept wind off the passenger. the only problem was that, like the stick w/s, I often was bothered by my helmet getting buffetted.

I spent some time in that last couple of weeks riding an 1150RT and a 1200GS. I noticed that they had shot w/s and that I wasn't getting buffeted. I use earplugs so noise wasn't an issue. I put my short BMW w/s on, the same one that started coming stock on the '05s. I found that it works great to eliminate bthe buffetting. It also goes high enough for me (5' 9") for cold/rain protection.

The buffeting may be why the Europeans have always had the short w/s. Most people on this board have discussed variations on the tall w/s, but I think that my tall w/s will now reside in the basement (along with my ME880s).

·
IBR# 366
16,555 Posts
I'd wait and see what your passenger has to say before making a permanent decision. Fortunately, they're not to hard to swap out.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
meese said:
I'd wait and see what your passenger has to say before making a permanent decision. Fortunately, they're not to hard to swap out.
Passengers? Or windshields?

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
hschisler said:
Passengers? Or windshields?
Yes. :p

Now that aside, you can change out the windshield in about 10 minutes. The toughest part of the whole process is getting the chrome covers off. The answer to that is the Hall of Wisdow.

Good hunting.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
paulcbrowne said:
It would be cheaper to switch winshields!!
Roger that!! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts