BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced a low speed wobble with the new 05 LT? My dealer tells me it is tires, but they are new. A dealer in Idaho has an 05 LT rider with the same problem and that rider also has new tires. This has been occurring since 6000 miles, now have 13000 miles. No one seems to know what is up, any one else, or any suggestions.

·
King of the Castle
184 Posts
My '05 does this if my hands are off the bars when decelerating through 40-45mph. All big, top heavy bikes will do this. The solution is to keep both hands on the bars.

Reactions: raoul1958

·
Registered
72 Posts
Most likely the tires. I have had two tires do that with low miles on them (1000 mi). Once they get a bulge or bubble, even if you can't see it, it will cause the problem. Put it on the center stand and spin the tires and look for a bad spot.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
How slow is the low-speed wobble. My '05 at about 2-3 mph, especially in a tight turn seems a bit wobbly, but then again, nothing unbearable for such a behemoth!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
When I replaced the tires (Bstones) I had this bad. I check for a bad spot but the tires were very true. I have about 3000 on them now including a 2200 mile trip I just completed and the woble has diminshed to just noticiable as you let the clutch out and pull away. The original tires (bstones) did not do this. The balance is good as it cruises very smooth at 75 to 95 mph. One thing that I did with this set is to keep the air pressure at 42/48 and there is no scalloping of the front tire where the original had scalloped in 1500 miles with the factory a/p of 36 psi.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have got to agree with the tires being the problem. My '04 did this at 35-45mph on Metz's with 7500 miles on the tires. I replaced the tires when they reached 11,000 because I couldn't stand the feathering anymore. OMG!! The girl felt like she was brand new and I lost the front end wobble at low speeds and not to mention the vibes from the feathering. I now maintain the 42/48 psi and am happy.

My .02

·
Registered
327 Posts
If it occurs between 30 and 45 mph, it is the tires. Changing the tire pressure will change what speed it will occur at.

Put new tires on, the handle bar wobble is gone, ride the bike for 5000 miles and it will be back. I put new tires on before CCR. 5,000 miles and 10 days later the wobble was back.

My recommendation....be aware of it and live with it. Replacing tires every 5000 miles is expensive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have an 05 with the same problem. Dealer has even replaced (temporarily) the fron WHEEL AND TIRE with a brand new one off the floor and it still wobbled. Avoiding the speed of 40-45 is a band aid to a serious problem. I've been told "it's the tire wear" "poor inflation" etc. I am finatical on tire pressure (with an excellent, confirmed accuracy gauge) and still haven't seen more than 8,000 miles on bias tires (VERY conservative riding style). It appears BMW is not willing conisder a design flaw so they will not look for one. Are the 2 related? Is there some sort of harmonic thang? Disappointing but .....willing to accept it. Whey does this happen to some but not all K1200lt's?

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
What is speed you refer to as low... 1-5 MPH or 20 -30 mph?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Low Speed Wobble

Funny how this subject keeps coming up. I had 3500 miles on my 05 LT last year and had the EXACT problem you describe. All sorts of suggestions for a cure, but one that took care of the problem....bought brand new tires (880's) air them up to 42/46 and a VERY good balance job. Not just a run of the mill quicky balance job, but a real good one. 7,000 miles later almost no tire wear on the 880's and better yet, no more wobble. Hands on, hands off, no wobble. Ric

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think it is all of the above. The larger touring bike and the tire and the tire condition. What has not been mentioned is the rain groove pattern. Tires like the Bridgestones with a vertical central groove will wobble less. The Metzeler will not have the vertical groove and wooble more. Downsides to the vertical grove, not alot. However, if it has a lot of vertical grooves, like tires in the 1960s, 1970s, they will be less stable on roads that have rain grooves. Remember how wild it was riding on some of the freeways in the 1970s?

Reactions: raoul1958

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Front end wobble can = rear tyre problem too...

Whilst our water may go down the plug hole the opposite direction downunder, we still experience the same tyre (tire) problems as you guys...

Twice now I have replaced my rear tyre and immediately experienced wobbling at low speed right through to higher speeds... It wasn't the balancing...as I stood next to the guy who did it and it was perfect.. It was the rubber... Changed over the tyre and it was as good at new...

Just wanted to make the point though that whilst the wobble may feel like it is originating from the front (as that's where it shows), it may well be the rear tyre that is suspect...

cheers,

·
Registered
3 Posts
whobble at decelleration

My '05 K1200LT has a severe whobble/shimmy when I am decellerating, regardless of the speed, if I remove my hands from the handle bars even for a second. I agree that it is best to keep at least one hand on the handle bars at all times. But for BMW and their mechanics to say that this is the only solution to this problem is skirting the issue, as far as I am concerned. I think this is a problem BMW had best correct.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Common problem!

Unevenly worn but especially cupped tires exaserbate and initiate the wobble. New tires will seem to eliminate the problem but all bikes are prone to this wobble decelerating around 40-45mph or so if you take your hands off the bars. DON"T TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF THE BARS!!!! Ron

·
Registered
93 Posts
I brought in my bike in to the dealer for the exact wooble as descibed at 60-70 KPH's (read 45 MPH)

They found a front Metz tire with a bulge in it, changed out on warranty. the wooble is now only at 70 KPH, it is not as pronounced, and sometimes not even there.

I remain confused, I will change the rear tire, the dealer will replace the steering dampner to ensure it is not that..... and go from there..

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have an 05 and I was very surprised when mine wobbled the first time. I had taken my hands off the bars at higher speeds 50-60 mph but never at 40-45 she did the death wobble.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem. Started about 5000miles Mine occurs during decel at around 45-40 mph. The bars shake violently. If I keep a tight grip, I just feel a vibration. The OEM tires have been changed to Metzelers. I have tried pressures 42 front/46 rear down to 36 front/42 rear. I have adjusted the rear shock preload from soft to hard. No improvement. The dealer had the bike for 2 weeks and advised me that there is nothing wrong with the bike, and that it will wobble. I have searched the web and this appears to be a common problem, with no fix. How can this be a safe condition?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts