BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 LT sometimes will hesitate or sputter a little if accelerating after slow speed driving. It has new plugs,valves ajusted,cansectomy,new vacuum lines,I resynced the throttle bodies,new fuel filter,reset the TPS,what am I missing that could be causing this?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,351 Posts
I guess you need to define slow speed. If you are cruising along at 35 in 4th gear I would expect a sputter. You have loaded up the engine. Try a lower gear next time before you accelerate. She has very little torque and power below 3,000RPM.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
What John said! Better at 4000 and a blast at 5000! She don' accelerate worth poop below 3000

Loren

·
Registered
338 Posts
It's hot outside....have you cut the brown wire? Mine did that, especially when coming out of a turn before I snipped the brown wire.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Say I`m pulling up to a stop sign and almost stop but roll on through and then gas it,it will sputter then take off. Another example,1st gear stuck behind a older person on our small town streets going 10mph finally get chance to pass,accellerate and it will sputter. By sputter I mean it will miss a few beats. It did not use to do this. Brown wire was cut long time ago.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Have you run injector cleaner through the bike? Or had the injectors cleaned cars will do the same thing when they start getting fouled

sodbuster said:
My 03 LT sometimes will hesitate or sputter a little if accelerating after slow speed driving. It has new plugs,valves ajusted,cansectomy,new vacuum lines,I resynced the throttle bodies,new fuel filter,reset the TPS,what am I missing that could be causing this?

·
Registered
509 Posts
As mentioned, you might consider snipping the brown wire which will activate the alternate fuel map that many claim is better suited on bikes in warmer climates.

An alternative is to unplug your air temp sensor....but it's tricky to access it, and most need to remove a bit of plastic to do so. The air temp sensor is located underneath the stingray, left side of bike, and is mounted to the air box. If you look behind your left radiator, you might see it (two wires). Many have experienced improvements by unplugging this sensor.

Some additional info in this thread, and in this attachment.

Cheers, Toolman

·
Registered
929 Posts
Kra961 said:
Have you run injector cleaner through the bike? Or had the injectors cleaned cars will do the same thing when they start getting fouled
Chris,

I would try putting a can of 'Sea Foam' in it over a couple of tanks of fuel. Had on old and wise mechanic swear by it--I tried it in my Yamaha which was missing bad...started my second tank and suddenly she took off! I'm a believer now. It will absolutely clean your bike's fuel system.

Wade

·
Registered
929 Posts
sodbuster said:
I just put injector cleaner in but I will try some sea foam.
It might take a couple tanks before it's in tip top shape...hope this helps your problem. Keep us posted.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,351 Posts
sodbuster said:
It has new plugs,valves ajusted,cansectomy,new vacuum lines,I resynced the throttle bodies,new fuel filter,reset the TPS,what am I missing that could be causing this?
If you did all this after it started sputtering I am clueless othr than to say if you did the canisterectomy then you need to just plug all the vacuum lines as they now have no function. May have induced a leak there. I would re-check the plugs for loading up as well. When you re-synced the TBs I hope you left #4 as the master (the rearmost).

·
Registered
656 Posts
The other thought that comes to mind is your Fuel filter how long has it been since it was replaced

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
wrmoss said:
Chris,

I would try putting a can of 'Sea Foam' in it over a couple of tanks of fuel. Had on old and wise mechanic swear by it--I tried it in my Yamaha which was missing bad...started my second tank and suddenly she took off! I'm a believer now. It will absolutely clean your bike's fuel system.

Wade
+ 1 on the Sea Foam

I am new to K bikes but use Sea Foam periodically in my RT. It is a miracle cure. :D I just put the first dose of S F in my LT. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brand new fuel filter.
When I synced the throttle bodies I can`t say for sure but I think #1 and #2 were the only ones I ajusted. None of them were of by much at all but it did make it idle smoother.
I did plug the line going to the throttle bodies but left the one going to the gas tank open.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
sodbuster said:
....... snip
I did plug the line going to the throttle bodies but left the one going to the gas tank open.
........ End snip

This is the proper procedure

Loren

1 - 15 of 15 Posts