BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm also finding the R1200RT seat quite hard, plus I'm 5'10 and cant place my feet flat on the ground when stopped.
I was going to get my stock seat repacked with foam and re-covered by an upholsterer to make it softer if possible.
I am just wondering if the low seat and the stock seat have the same structure, cos if the structure of the low seat was also lower, I could try and source a low seat and have that one made more comfortable if possible, so I could get lower to the ground as well as more comfortable?
But if there difference between the low seat and the stock seat is only the thickness of the foam, then that would be pointless!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GRB60 said:
I'm pretty sure the pan is the same.
I suspected that alright.
Well no point in sourcing one of those so.
I can only imagine that the BMW comfort seat will be very expensive unless I can source a used one.
Anyone try getting their stock seat re-padded and reupholstered for extra comfort without the high cost of a new brand name seat?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the Comfort seat and like it very much. I am 5'8 with a 30" inseam. My bike is a 2012. I couldn't touch the ground with the stock seat lowered on the test bike. So, I ordered the Comfort seat and have the low suspension. It is a very nice seat (heated) and I can ride for several hundred. Let's be honest here, few ride more than a couple of hundred miles (or less) before stopping for a break. I have had no problem with the seat. I am thinking about getting the pegs lowered but that is not an issue caused by the Comfort Seat.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
The standard and the low seat use the same pan... to the best of my knowledge, and from looking at them closely.

The difference lies in the foam... but there is more to it than that.

My seat builder modified my factory low seat in two main ways. One is he made it narrower towards the front but used three different foam densities to provide support, create a pocket near the rear to reduce the slide-forward problem, and made a "roll" near the back. The factory heat feature remains. The seat is comfortable on the long ride and is not as nearly soft as the Corbins nor the Sargents I have compared it to.

I am 5'6" tall. I cannot flat foot it either, but it has never been an issue.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I tried to solve the comfort and flat foot problems with a rebuilt (high) seat, but the builder advised against making the seat too low because he thought my knee position (too high) would be an issue. Since he had re-built thousands of seats I'm sure he was right, so I followed his advice. For the flat foot issue, you can add a bit to the bottom of the boot pretty darned inexpensively. Works well for me.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I can add that a low seat will increase the bend of your knees. This is either a problem or not. My solution was the peg lowering kit... very popular addition and effective.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I can only speak to the 2008 (2005-2009) years. The low seat and the standard seat pans are NOT the same. The low seat has a much sharper bend from the flat part to the front where it sits against the tank, and may tend to angle you forward a bit. I had a low seat, had it redone at Kontour, and things were still not well. I sourced a standard seat, sent it to Ron, who Kontured it, and now all is well. I use the standard seat in the 'low' position. And no, I can't flat-foot it either, so I just don't stop :D .

Seriously - buy the seat for the 99% of the time you are going to be on it, not for being able to "flat-foot" it when you stop. I know that if you are carrying a passenger, this can be tough, but you may be on the wrong bike.

I have never examined the "comfort" seat or the "bench" seat, so I can't really speak to them.

-Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts