BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Huuuuum.

This is curious.

Got a call from IronHorse BMW this morning. They have traced the not starting issue to poor, low pressure in two cylinders. Further exploration

She was running like a champ on Sunday evening. Monday she wouldn't start.

They also have to trace down why the clutch lever engages with little travel.

A bit disappointing and curious that two cylinders would be down at 26K?

But, better to have her let go here while I'm home vrs traveling back east this coming spring

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
70 Posts
If the two cylinders are next to each other most of the time it is a head gasket blown between the two cylinders.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip.

Still a puzzlement?

However, that's better than needing to replace valves or piston rings.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Hope its a cheap, easy and fast fix.

Keep us posted.

Might go for a ride tomorrow, high temp in the low 40's.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheap??!

The discount price for just the valve cover gasket is $53!!!

I'm afraid to look up the price for an important gasket, like a head gasket.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
saddleman said:
Head gaskets are about $100. Its time to do a leak down test.
Ya beat me to it. :)

A leak down test will give a good indication of the source of the leak, valves, rings, or as already suggested blown head gasket. If it is rings, you will have air coming out of the oil filler hole. If exhaust valves, air out of the exhaust; intake valves. air out of the intake; Head gasket (we all hope), air will come out of an adjacent spark plug hole if blown between cylinders, or if blown into the cooling passages around the cylinders air bubbles in the radiator (if cooling system is still intact).

A leak down test is the most valuable trouble shooting test for initial determination of the likely problem.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guess they will being that next.

I'll have to find out what the marginal cost will be to change the plugs, check the "buckets" and ask if the will recycle the valve cover gasket? If not, I'll ask they set aside that gasket so that I'll have an extra one I can re-use.

Anything else to consider while they are in there?

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,977 Posts
I keep a spare valve cover gasket in stock & have never had to use it. I have had my valve cover off many times as well other bikes I have worked on. If you find the failed part that is causing the low compression fixing it is only part of the job. The hard part is to find out why something failed in the first place.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
If it is a failed head gasket make sure you have the head checked and milled if it's warped. I learned that lesson the hard way on a Nissan truck. Got to pull the head twice as the head face had a concave warp to it and the new gasket failed shortly after install. Oops.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dam!!

I see a stream of $$$$$$$$ going out of my pocket. And, being without transportation for a while.

Bob

·
Registered
39 Posts
It seems weird that it would run great one day, and then have low compression with a no start the next.
If you keep trying to start an engine that is getting fuel, the gas will wash away all the oil on the cylinder walls. no oil, no compression.
The low compression may be a symptom, not the problem.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your description is exactly what happened,

I tried it in the morning and then again in the afternoon before I gave up.

Many thanks for the information. It sounds less expensive than having to mill the head.

Fortunately, IronHorse is working on my LT.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dunno yet.

Like most/many BMW dealers, Iron Horse is closed Mondays.

When I talked with them Sat they said they would not do any work on again till Wed.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well.

I gave them a call today.

The mechanic said he shot some oil into the low cylinders and them checked them again to insure gas hadn't stripped the oil from the rings.

The good news is that he should be starting on my bike tomorrow.

Course, the bad news is that the low compression was not caused by gas stripping the oil from the rings

And the bader news is that I was having the clutch symptoms that might suggest a slave cylinder-replace the clutch.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
256 Posts
Just concentrate on where you will take it, how well it will run and how much fun you will have after all of these needed repairs are completed. Don't let the other details get you down.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts