BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys need some advice on buying a used LT.

I'm hoping to buy a LT within the next few weeks. I sold my 03 LT last year that I purchased new and ended up with 70K miles. It was mostly problem free which I attribute to the fact that it ran on regular basis.

Now I'm looking at some LTs that are three to five years old with very low miles, 12K, 15K etc.

My questions is - Are these bikes at increased risk of some type of failure because they haven't been ridden much? Should I be aiming for bikes closer to 8K - 15K miles/year?

Thanks.

PS - Since most of these bikes are out of the warranty period, it doesn't look like extended warranty is an option.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
The average motorcycle in the U.S. gets 1100 to 1500 miles per year. I would say as long as it's been ridden several times a year you should be ok. What will get you in trouble is one that has set for several years without use. If it's set long enough to require cleaning of the fuel system, I would be very cautious.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I bought mine when it had only 1300 miles on in two years. Low miles is not a probem. Just check the maint records and change all the fluids. Then RIDE!

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
My 2000 was 5 years old with 13,200 miles on it when i bought. The PO let it set in the garage for over 1 year only starting it once a month to keep the battery up. I now have about 62,000 trouble free miles. I've replaced the battery once , upgraded the shift linkage & shocks. ALL the services have been done by me , Grif, Channing, John Zeiler, & John Fisher over the last 5 years.

·
Registered
577 Posts
check with RPMone they do provide a package for "out of warranty" bikes. don't know cost for such, but Eugene,Or BMW gave m a very good deal on my 05. Have already saved over twice the cost of warranty.

Max BMW where fixes were done said RPMone were the best Extended warranty people they have ever worked with, even better then the company they offered. They made a call and got approval on the spot.

coverage for unlimited milage, no deductions, no copay, no restrictions, and for five years.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
RocketRon said:
Mine was 7 yrs old with only 6800 miles on it. I've ridden it another 12,000 this past year with no problems. Knock on wood!
Bought my '01 in May '09 with 7800 miles. Rear tire wore out at 19,000 (POS!!! :histerica) . Other than the rear tire and other routine maintenance I haven't done a thing to it except ride it! Knock on Wood!

Loren

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Look @ it as a roll of the dice 'Grasshopper'..............But Hell, it's a "LT"..........ya' can't go wrong............."TRY NOT. DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NOT TRY."..............ya' know what I mean................... ;)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Infrequent riding is ok, just when it sits for years without being ridden then seals tend to dry up and the problems begin. I'd feel comfortable buying an 05 with just a few thousand miles on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts