BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the BMW scene. I just purchased an '06, and was thinking of lowering it slightly. Has anyone out there used a Sasaki sports club Lowdown Kit? If so, how much lower did it make the bike? I don't need but about an inch or so.

Thanks,

·
Registered
425 Posts
Okay, So I found what they look like, and they cost about $144 USD, but I can't find anything about how they are used or where they get installed. Can you give us some insight about how they lower the bike?

It looks like they attach to the shock, but I can't imagine how they could lower the bike, only raise it?

If I could lower my bike by an inch or more for this amount of money, I would be able to keep it instead of selling it for being too tall for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Okay, So I found what they look like, and they cost about $144 USD, but I can't find anything about how they are used or where they get installed. Can you give us some insight about how they lower the bike?

It looks like they attach to the shock, but I can't imagine how they could lower the bike, only raise it?

If I could lower my bike by an inch or more for this amount of money, I would be able to keep it instead of selling it for being too tall for me.
Did a search on the LT rear shock for a comparison. It looks like it is just a shorter bracket and it indeed would lower the bike some.

I have not investigated this yet so I wonder how much of a change in angle you might see at the FD interface while riding and would you also need to adjust the brace in length to keep the FD to drive shaft at optimal angle while riding. It may not make enough of a difference to really worry about but it crossed my mind.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It is shorter by 15mm. That's about .59". I'm thinking it will lower the bike about 2" or so. I just ordered it, and will find out. I'm prepared to modify the center stand and side stand.

This part replaces the lower shock bracket.

·
Registered
425 Posts
vrod2005,

I am hoping your experiment is successful... Here is a photo of a stock K1200LT shock showing the normal bracket mounted. I know that photo scale plays a big part here, but I can't see much difference between this bracket and the photo of the short one you just ordered. Good luck and let us know if it is an effective solution. -John

Another solution? Take the stock shock and redrill the hole in this bracket about 0.6" lower and then cut off the original hole? Anybody got any idea if that would give the same effect?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
due to clearance problems that you will have, speed humps and cornering at high speed, I would not lower the bike but look at at alternative seating, and maybe some thicker soles. I ran with sagged springs for years and didn't realise how bad it was until I replaced the springs, great in a straight line though

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm very interested in this lowering method. Be sure to update the thread! Thanks

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
For less than $144 you can buy a used rear shock on ebay, cut and drill it yourself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts