BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from a 40 day road trip riding two up. We covered 9,828 miles mostly off the freeways. The luggage rack I built held up perfectly for the trip even with the 50 lb bag of camp gear. The low center of gravity handled quite nice even on the "Tail of the Dragon". I had to replace the rear tire at 8,000 miles which I thought was reasonable since thats all I normally get on my Harley riding solo.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Congrats to you on a Very Innovative idea.....:bmw:

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
beemeup said:
Just returned from a 40 day road trip riding two up. We covered 9,828 miles mostly off the freeways. The luggage rack I built held up perfectly for the trip even with the 50 lb bag of camp gear. The low center of gravity handled quite nice even on the "Tail of the Dragon". I had to replace the rear tire at 8,000 miles which I thought was reasonable since thats all I normally get on my Harley riding solo.
I like that. I have concerns about the weight being behind the rear axle, but if it works, no argument. I might build something like that.

Would you be willing to take a few more pics of the rack, construction details, and attachment points?

That would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Curtis,

not wanting to hijack the thread but while waiting for the reply from Barry here is some info on the similar item:

http://picasaweb.google.fi/pozoizquierdo/TRAILERHITCHLUGGAGERACK#

I have stepped on the rack and it holds so it has been tested with 90 kilos (200 lbs).The max load I carry on it is typically 25 kg (50 lbs). The rack itself weighs about 7,5 kg (15 lbs).

I have an AutoCad 3D drawing if you need one.

Regards

·
Registered
40 Posts
The low center of gravity is a plus. Placing the low CG in a location that is 2' behind the rear axle is a huge minus.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I wonder about the location aft of the rear axle. But with two up, and the weight of the engine forward, and total weight of the bike, I can see 20 lbs being just as well back there as it is on my topcase rack.

I don't have a trailer hitch and don't really want one. I was wondering if one of these designs attaches without a trailer hitch.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
CharlieVT said:
I wonder about the location aft of the rear axle. But with two up, and the weight of the engine forward, and total weight of the bike, I can see 20 lbs being just as well back there as it is on my topcase rack.

I don't have a trailer hitch and don't really want one. I was wondering if one of these designs attaches without a trailer hitch.
Curtis, I'm just curious...why you don't want to use a trailer hitch? Especially Dauntless' design is ideal for the luggage rack. I can remove or install my rack in two minutes (including the diagonal support cables) and without the rack there are only the round tube ends visible in the rear of the bike.

The bike side parts of Dauntless are well proven and tested. Into the tubes you can design your own rack just as Toolman had done. In my project I used more Dauntless parts since my rack is fastened into the hitch receiver but this was only because I happened to have the Dauntless set available.

Regards

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
pozo_izquierdo said:
Curtis, I'm just curious...why you don't want to use a trailer hitch? Especially Dauntless' design is ideal for the luggage rack. I can remove or install my rack in two minutes (including the diagonal support cables) and without the rack there are only the round tube ends visible in the rear of the bike.

The bike side parts of Dauntless are well proven and tested. Into the tubes you can design your own rack just as Toolman had done. In my project I used more Dauntless parts since my rack is fastened into the hitch receiver but this was only because I happened to have the Dauntless set available.

Regards
Actually, I have been looking into the Dauntless. I'm not really interested in pulling a trailer and the other "better" trailer hitch is way over the top for me. I don't want to look at it, and I don't want to have to remove it to change a tire.

I'm temped to weld up a frame to make a rear luggage rack but if I could obtain a Dauntless and save myself the fabrication time and materials costs, the Dauntless would work for me.

I've been putting 20lbs of bulky camping gear on the topcase rack, and moving it down low seems like a good idea. When I first started reading this thread, I thought maybe someone had fabricated a race without a trailer hitch. Now I realize it probably isn't so.

Still learning and mulling the options here. Thanks!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Always something interesting around here. Is the exhaust a problem being so close to the gear stowed on the rack? Even though the exhaust is directed down it seems close.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
fwkraft said:
Always something interesting around here. Is the exhaust a problem being so close to the gear stowed on the rack? Even though the exhaust is directed down it seems close.
As you probably saw on my Picasa "blog" I use a vinyl cover on top of the suitcase that usually sits on the rack. This is also for rain protection.
After a recent 5000 km trip the suitcase (which is actually just an old Delsey cabin bag with some kind of cloth covering) had a slight smell of exhaust on the exterior. Leaving the bag outside for couple of days took care of this minor inconvenience.
However, when I had a Remus exhaust for one summer, the smell & soot problem was a lot worse.
From that time I also have a heat shield in front of the rack which was really useful for collecting the soot from the Remus. Nowadays that stays clean since I went back to the OEM exhaust.

Regards

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Every time I see one of those racks I can only think of having one of these instead: THE ULTIMATE FARKLE.

I mean, just back her up to a nice gentle slope .... pop her up on the center stand ....whip out an old copy of Popular Mechanics and...

:b2topic:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Every time I see one of those racks I can only think of having one of these instead: THE ULTIMATE FARKLE.

I mean, just back her up to a nice gentle slope .... pop her up on the center stand ....whip out an old copy of Popular Mechanics and...

:b2topic:
:histerica I swear Ron, where do you come up with all this stuff!? Around here when the corn is up, all you gotta do is carry a roll of toilet paper with you....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I put together some details showing my rack but the pdf file is too large to upload. Anyone who wants it can email me at [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
fwkraft said:
No problem at all. I kept an eye on it for heat and didn't detect any to worry about.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally got this file trimmed down to a point where I could upload it. Enjoy

Attachments

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Having debated purchase of a Dauntless trailer hitch to use as a low CG luggage rack support versus fabricating my own, I stumbled onto a sale.

All in stock hitches are 20% off until the end of the month.
http://www.dmcsidecars.com/index.htm

Considering the time, welding fumes, material costs of homemade versus a professional hitch at 20% off, I went for the deal.

Next I have to decide if I will fabricate my own rack to fit the trailer hitch or buy one of those too. (Those are not on sale and have to be fabricated to order).

If you've been thinking about a Dauntless hitch, now might be the time. Sale ends 31 August.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts