BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my fingers crossed that some out here can help.
Does anyone know which direction the low beam wire is routed?
My 2005 LT low beam light doesn’t work, but all other lights do. I checked the usual suspects:
1. Replaced the bulb-not it
2. Checked the fuse- not it
Then I grabbed Mr. Voltmeter to check if power was making it to the plug:
Eureka!
I’m not an engineer, nor do I play one on TV, so please don’t reply “look at the wiring diagram in the H.O.W”. I’m trying to see if it’s shorting some place or being pinched by the Tupperware.
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Did you pull the handle bar covers off yet? That's an ideal place to pinch a wire. I checked in Clymers manual and it shows the low beam is white with yellow stripes, and runs from the left multifunction switch over to the right multi switch. Brown is common (ground). You may have to peal back some electrical tape. I had a similar problem. I pushed a sewing needle into the wire so I could attach the volt meter to it and get a reading. And sealed the puncture afterward.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,779 Posts
On the 05 fuse F5 feeds the low beam headlight on a gree/blue/yellow wire. This also feeds the running lights on both sides so if they are on and the head light is not there is a break in the wire.

Now if you mean there is voltage at the plug by your Eureka coment then you have a bad bulb or you are missing the ground on the brown wire (common item). Follow the brown wire and look for corrosion at the plug or farther back at a junction.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m trying to avoid another month stripping the Tupperware off. I'll take a look under the handlebar cover.

John, my Eureka was: "I found the problem, no power at the plug." Now I'm trying to find why. Seems that it must be the "from" end of the low beam plug, since all other lighting works and its not the fuse. I'm trying to find the junction point at this "where's Waldo". Thanks for the idea however.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I had to replace the brown ground wires for both the low and high beam bulbs on my 01LT. They connect right under the high beam bulb and get cooked. I ran the new ground out of the bulb compartment to the right horn for a ground.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts