BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both of my low beams have went out in short order over the last few days.I need to replace them and i couldnt help notice these Xenon replacement kits on the web that spew on about 3 times brighter lights. i am marginally impaired when it comes to mechanics so i dont even know what a ballast is.
Do i need to do any thing more than screw in the bulb to install these on my 09 RT?Is an electrical job neccessary?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Heya -

I did the HID conversion on my F800ST and it is the best thing I've ever done for a bike.

Increased forward visibility, increased visibility to others on the road and never having to change the God-forsaken lightbulb on an 800ST again...

So before I devolve in to a rant on that subject, the change-over to HID is super easy, if you have a good kit. The one from One Off Motorsports is simple to install, backed with a good warranty and a very responsive service/sales team. You cannot go wrong with their kits.

http://www.1offmotorsports.com/

And seriously, the installation is simple and the directions are clear, concise and step by step. It is a project that you can easily accomplish in 30 minutes.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I also converted to HID on my LT, prior to owning an RT. Mine came from DDM Tuning, their website had great instructions, it looks confusing with all the wires that connect bulbs and ballast but really is straight forward if you follow the instructions. Light difference was astonishing however the LT was renowned for its poor lighting

r

·
Registered
285 Posts
I just installed the Osram 65 watt bulbs from Candlepower on my 2010 RT. Only reason I did not go with HID is that I did not want to drill out the cover plates. Perhaps sometime in the future I'll do that conversion.

tsp
Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com

·
Registered
184 Posts
tsperez said:
...I did not want to drill out the cover plates.
Understandable. From an installation perspective, the drilling is easy as well. IIRC a 1.25" hole saw was used to punch through the cover plate. The rubber grommet fit perfectly in the hole and made for an air tight seal.

I picked up a spare cover plate ($8.00) to keep around if I ever needed to quickly change back to incandescent lights, e.g. going to a jurisdiction that strictly prohibits non-OEM HID or a ballast failure.

Reverting to standard lighting is as simple as installing the HID, especially if it is a temporary reversion.

·
Registered
472 Posts
pgarraty said:
Both of my low beams have went out in short order over the last few days.I need to replace them and i couldnt help notice these Xenon replacement kits on the web that spew on about 3 times brighter lights. i am marginally impaired when it comes to mechanics so i dont even know what a ballast is.
Do i need to do any thing more than screw in the bulb to install these on my 09 RT?Is an electrical job neccessary?
Yes, you do. You need to remove then drill a hole in the lamp cover. Install a grommet. Make the wire connections; all are plug n play but you need to follow directions. You will then need to find a place to stash the ballasts. There are two and the 1OFF's are sized about 3 inch by 2 inch by 3/4 inch. I put 3M double sided tape on them and stuck them to the top of the oil cooler.

None of this qualifies as difficult, but installing bulbs in a very tight space is a challenge for many, whether they are HIDs or just replacement halogens.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Louisiana has passed a law against colored head lamps. Trying to fight the "blue" head light crowd. Check with your HID vendor that the lamp color looks mainly white. Probably a detail that really does not matter.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
beech said:
Louisiana has passed a law against colored head lamps. Trying to fight the "blue" head light crowd. Check with your HID vendor that the lamp color looks mainly white. Probably a detail that really does not matter.
The BEST color temp for HIDs is generally considered to be 4300 degrees Kelvin. The light is 'white' not blue. The 4300 output will NOT get you into trouble anywhere...Unless your light is not aimed correctly.

Blinding drivers or the police will get you in deep water pretty quickly. Aim your HID at your garage door and position the beam so it will illuminate down the road but not bother other users. It takes a bit of trial and error to get it right, but its worth the time and effort.

·
Registered
327 Posts
+1 on everything that has neen said about HID's on the RT so far.
I wouldnt bother with the High Beam but thats up to you.
The HID takes a second or two to come up to full heat which in the high beam lamp minimises the effectiveness of your flasher function.
My bike came with them fitted in all 3 so I removed the HB and put it into my R1100S :bmw:

·
Registered
350 Posts
JATownsend said:
The BEST color temp for HIDs is generally considered to be 4300 degrees Kelvin. The light is 'white' not blue. The 4300 output will NOT get you into trouble anywhere...Unless your light is not aimed correctly.

Blinding drivers or the police will get you in deep water pretty quickly. Aim your HID at your garage door and position the beam so it will illuminate down the road but not bother other users. It takes a bit of trial and error to get it right, but its worth the time and effort.
Does the dial on the dash still aim the HID?

·
Registered
747 Posts
A good set for a current RT is the 1off kits in the low slots and a 65W Osram H-7 in the hi beam slot (from Candlepower, less than $20 each. Get the 4200K HID kit, not the 5000K (4200 is OEM color temp for cars having HID, output is same).
With that setup you won't have an drawbacks of trying to use HID in a hi beam- they do not come up to full output immediately and HID ballast really don't like a whole lot of rapid on/off cycles,depending on how often you need to dip a hi beam where you ride. And you won't get the excessive glare coming off signs that comes from an HID high beam. OTOH, if you're so far out of town you can run the hi without dimming it, then HID there is fine

Re installing the 10ff kit- finding the exact right size hole saw might be a little tricky (1" and less and large enough to do door locks are easy- many places don't sell 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 inch) and IMO the install of the HID bulb needs a little more dexterity than an H-7 but if you can do one, you can do the other.

You could also run the Osram 65W H-7 in all 3 headlight slots- I used to do that before the HID conversion. That's a very good improvment over stock (40% output increase across the beam field) but no where in the league of the HIDs. Note the Osram 65W is not DOT approved but neither are those HIDs.

Mine also has a set of Hella FF-50s with the Osram 65W H-7 on a relay circuit and operated by the high beam switch for simplicity so the one switch adds all 3 of my 65W Osrams as hi beams.

And then there a set of "10W" type LED lamps (Solstice 120) on EzyMounts under the cooler. The are mostly for daytime conspicuity but add some useful width to the HID lows. NO LED of any type from any maker has really long reach yet but perhaps eventually. At present, all really long range lights are HID or halogens in good reflectors (NOT halogens with mediocre reflectors and some sort of lens to make up for cheap reflector manufacture)

The above on mine total over 14,000 lumens with everything running and is "plenty". If one wanted to fit a pair of large HIDs in place of the FF50s, about 17,000 lumens would be possible and add another 1100 to that if one ran an HID hi beam but all of those are overkill with drawbacks for most normal uses. However, if you do IBR and like to ride at night, or desert race at night, they begin to make some sense.

Do not be lulled into thinking that LEDs or HIDs never burn out and die- simply not true and you might need to deal with spares like bulbs and ballasts eventually.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does the 1off HID kit come with two lights for the $154, or is that each. They are not answering my question. Thanks....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Skidmarc said:
Does the 1off HID kit come with two lights for the $154, or is that each. They are not answering my question. Thanks....
The low beam kit for the RT contains two complete lamp setups.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OU812 said:
My 08' RT lights are such a great improvement over my old R1100RT that they seem to be sufficient stock. ;)
I second that coming off a C10 Concours.

Jeff

·
Registered
616 Posts
Some people experience trouble having to look at (a lot of) HID lights.
This has not (only) to do with possible misalignment, but with using HID bulbs in combination with incompatible mirrors and lenses.
As I have remarked before, if the headlights of the current BMW's are not enough, you either drive to fast or there is something wrong with your eyesight.
I don't find it responsible to compromise other drivers' safety by simply replacing the H7 bulbs by HID's.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Gaby said:
Some people experience trouble having to look at (a lot of) HID lights.
This has not (only) to do with possible misalignment, but with using HID bulbs in combination with incompatible mirrors and lenses.
As I have remarked before, if the headlights of the current BMW's are not enough, you either drive to fast or there is something wrong with your eyesight.
I don't find it responsible to compromise other drivers' safety by simply replacing the H7 bulbs by HID's.
Simple to state if you ride mostly in the city, early evening. I live in the country where we have 1500lb moose that may compromize my early morning commute. Beam ajustment is important for on-coming traffic, but HID provide for a better expanse of light to the side of the road, where large critters lurke in the dark...

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
beech said:

I just replaced all three OEM lamps in my RT with the 1 Off Motorsport HID kit using the 6000 degree lamps which is a bright white light. It is much easier to work on the installation with the front fairings off the bike, and especially to access the right side lamp hole, which is a pain in the butt to access unless you have very small hands. If you happen to be using a high-beam headlamp modulator, the HID cannot be used.

I mounted the three ballast assemblies stacked on top of each other and used a heavy duty zip tie to attach them to the steel "Y" frame member above the oil cooler. While I was doing that install, I also installed the RT-P oil cooler fan too. Now I can see quite well at night, and the engine stays cool while creeping along in traffic on a hot day. :dance:

If you do the installation, get a "step drill" bit to drill the hole in the plastic covers as is suggested in the installation instruction. If you have a small drill press, it is very easy to properly align the hole. When inserting the lamps and wiring into the RT, I found it much easier to pull the grommet into the cover after it was in place, because you will find that there is not enough wire slack in the harness to put the bulb in place and clamp it with the cover attached to the grommet.

The 1-Off kit is well designed and high quality, and the lamp capsule is perfectly aligned with the reflector assembly in the bike, making a nice pattern that does not blind approaching drivers. I can highly recommend this upgrade without reservation.

I also transferred my Clearwater Krista lamps over to the RT from my RR, and that makes an additional nice light setup. During daytime I run the Krista's at full power for daytime running lamps, and have very little trouble with cagers jumping out of an intersection. At night I run them at the low setting, and have the trigger wire set to come instantly to full power when the high beams are selected on the bike.

Oh.. my eyesight is 20/15 and I do not drive too fast at night, and my X-5 and X-3 BMW Cages both have HID bulbs that don't seem to bother other drivers either.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts