BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade my high beam to a HID, but can't find any kits out there with just one ballast. I can only find from several locations they come with two ballasts and two bulbs. Any help?
2003 BMW K1200LT
110,000 miles:wink:

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
When I was looking for a new low beam for my LT, what I found was the 2 light kits were not double the cost of a single light kit and I got spare parts should there be an issue. I went LED on the low and was unhappy with the response I get from the HID high beam. If it has been off for more than a short amount of time, I don't get immediate light when I need it so I added some additional LED's to the high beam circuit on a separate relay. Now I don't have to wait for the HID to warm up to see but when it does, It adds a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Thank you for the reply, but what I found out, several of these HID kits come in pairs and I would end up with an extra ballast and bulb.
...and that's why you buy a 2nd beemer, to use up the spare HID :grin:

OK, seriously though... the HID bulbs don't last forever, they can start going blue after a few years, then you just pop the spare globe in and you are good to go. And IF the ballast happens to fail, well..... you're covered.

Reactions: Axle

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think if you look at that web site you'll find that they sell individual kits. The one i got for 79 was a single ballast and single bulb. Perhaps you weren't looking at the correct kit. Give them a call, they will help you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BeemerJoe
You know of a website that does sell single ballast/bulb? I checked three HID sites and they don't sell individual. The third was a single on Amazon with only a 2-yr warranty and it didn't sound like a company in the US.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't understand why your having problems finding this single bulb and ballast. I'm looking at one right now on Xenon Depot for $79.00. Here's the WEB page .H7 HID kits | H7 HID kits | H7 automotive bulbs. I know they have them as i ordered and installed one just last month. Perhaps i'm not understanding what you are looking for.
Joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts