BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Clutch has gone after ~53,000 miles on my 2011 BMW R1200RT. Local BMW dealership/shop has declined to repair the problem claiming that their tech doesn't feel comfortable tackling the job. I offered my Hayne's manual showing the process step by step. I don't do it because I lack the tools, expertise, and shop space. The shop has similar how-to info. from BMW. Still the answer is . . . not comfortable with trying to do the work and therefore won't do the work. It's been suggested I try the Nashville, TN BMW dealership/shop. Of course, that will involve transporting the bike there. This really is beyond most conventional reasoning.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
If it were me, I'd be in contact with BMW NA.

Having a dealership that promotes "We have top factory-trained technicians on duty during all business hours. " that when asked to perform ANY service on a BMW, refuses to service a bike because they don't believe their tech is competent enough to do the service is simply unacceptable.

·
Premium Member
3,300 Posts
Well in all honesty I would rather have a dealer tell me he cant do it, then have him do it, and have it fail.

It is a testament of the techs that are coming up these days.

I read this other day: "The owners manuel used to tell you how to adjust the valves on your car, now it tells you not to drink the battery acid".

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
I get that Lee, and I agree.

My point is, travelers coming through may need services this "factory trained tech" will do on their machines. If he's not competent enough to take care of a clutch swap, what else is he not competent to do, that he decides he attempt??

BMW NA needs to know the dealership can't be relied on for services.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Me, I'd do it myself. Not that hard.
Otherwise, I'd ask around town and find an experienced local MC shop with years of business expertise to do it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Me, I'd do it myself. Not that hard.
Otherwise, I'd ask around town and find an experienced local MC shop with years of business expertise to do it.
Good luck.
SmokinJoe:

I grew up farming. Nothing is hard . . . once you know how.

However, as I stated per above, I don't have the resources to hand. Additionally, the Haynes manual marks this job as a 'three out of four wrenches' in difficulty. Four wrenches being the most difficult.

Added to that, and new information to everyone here, the Louisville BMW shop directed me to a mechanic to which they send such jobs but he also declined as being too busy, (i.e.), he'd rather keep a dozen established customers needing oil changes at what's now peak of riding season happy per the 9+ hours my job would take than say yes to me. Not completely beyond understanding but still, that was the BMW shop's "plan B" and it's wholly inadequate. Again, as others have mentioned, when the "Service" tab of their own website reads, in part,:

"The credibility of our service department is absolutely astounding. Specializing in stock and high performance BMW, we are equipped to make your bike suitable for you and your taste. We have top factory-trained technicians on duty during all business hours.

We honor all warranty work and favor any recalls. We accommodate any type of problem that may arise with your motorcycle in an efficient, precise, and timely manner.

BMW Motorcycles of Louisville is your full service dealership for BMW motorcycles. Since 1996 we have been the area's only BMW motorcycle dealership." (Service Department | BMW Motorcycles of Louisville Kentucky)

, there needs to be accountability via BMW NA Motorrad for, among other reasons, not engaging in false advertising wherein others may reasonably rely on such claims to their detriment. Caveat emptor is no one's idea of a great business motto.

·
Registered
102 Posts
A lot of dealers in Australia are now following suit for 10 year-old+ bikes. I do my own maintenance, but recently had the need to use the dealer I bought my bike from, for a crash repair.
I heard the 'service advisor' decline work on a 2009 RT and recommended a good independent for the work.
I'm glad I do my own work. That's a pretty poor attitude. The only good thing is the independent is probably making a motza from referrals, and I wish them every success (y)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
F.Y.I.: Minutes ago as of this writing I lodged a formal complaint with BMW Motorrad North America via 1-800-831-1117. The Customer Service agent I spoke with was sympathetic but indicated that such issues are addressed on an ad hoc basis and so offered no guarantee(s) that I'd be contacted re: the issue.

·
Registered
112 Posts
F.Y.I.: Minutes ago as of this writing I lodged a formal complaint with BMW Motorrad North America via 1-800-831-1117. The Customer Service agent I spoke with was sympathetic but indicated that such issues are addressed on an ad hoc basis and so offered no guarantee(s) that I'd be contacted re: the issue.
A sad state of affairs all around - soon you'll be advised "the franchised dealers are independent business entities and, therefore, making their own decision regarding their business operations and there's nothing they can do". About the only thing they can do is hold the dealer's feet to the fire on training/tool requirements but I doubt they are holding any training classes on your vintage motorcycles so your limited options are perhaps the larger dealerships with 'older' techs or the independents - they said in best:

"The credibility of our service department is absolutely astounding."

·
Registered
589 Posts
A sad state of affairs all around - soon you'll be advised "the franchised dealers are independent business entities and, therefore, making their own decision regarding their business operations and there's nothing they can do". About the only thing they can do is hold the dealer's feet to the fire on training/tool requirements but I doubt they are holding any training classes on your vintage motorcycles so your limited options are perhaps the larger dealerships with 'older' techs or the independents - they said in best:

"The credibility of our service department is absolutely astounding."
"You think you hate our service dept now, just wait 'til you try it!"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As has been theorized, here's the latest from BMW Motorrad NA:

"-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2021 2:22 PM
To:
Subject: Your Motorrad Correspondence [1-17825585408]

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of our organization. Do not click links, open attachments, or respond unless you recognize the sender's email address and know the contents are safe.

Dear Troy,

Thanks for contacting BMW Motorrad USA to share your experience with us.

We appreciate your loyalty to the BMW Motorrad brand and the time you took to share your disappointment with us regarding BMW Motorcycles of Louisville's decision to decline to repair your 2011 BMW R 1200 RT's clutch.

We understand this decision may be inconvenient as there are no other Motorrad dealers in your local area; however, our BMW Motorrad dealers are independently owned and managed. While we work to help each of them offer the highest levels of sales and service, operational decisions such as this are ultimately at the discretion of the dealer’s ownership.

We appreciate the time you took to share your comments with us, and you can be assured we've made a note of your concerns.

If you wish to locate other BMW Motorrad dealers that may have the ability to repair your 2011 BMW R 1200 RT's clutch, please enter your zip code on our website: Dealer Search.

Should you need to contact BMW Motorrad Customer Relations and Services again, you can reach us at 1-800-831-1117 Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET and Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. ET.

Thanks again for sharing your feedback with us.

Kind regards,

Heather
BMW Motorrad USA
Representative"

·
Registered
948 Posts
Wow ... I understand why most dealerships don't want anything to do with my '55 or even my '73, but a 2011? Very disappointing. Sorry for your troubles.

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
My closest BMW dealer is 270 miles away and next closest is 330 miles so I'm used to traveling at least 540 miles (round trip) for my local dealer so distance is relative. I once had a part installed in Austin; 660 miles; didn't work so they said to bring the bike back (1,320 miles); when they inspected the part they said I was correct and the part was faulty; they didn't have the part in stock and asked me to come back (1,980 miles). Instead, I rode it down the road and traded the bike in on an Ultra Classic. Dealer asked me which one; I said, "anyone will do". Dealer said we're closing, asked me to come back. I said I wouldn't. They stayed late and I rode out about 8pm on a new bike.
I'm also in the camp of appreciating being told "we can't do it" rather than they messing it up. Good luck with your situation.

·
Registered
212 Posts
A 2011 R1200RT with a dry clutch should not be an issue for ANY BMW motorcycle dealer. Why? The dry clutch in a 2011 is the same as one in a 2021 R-Nine-T. A bike BMW sells RIGHT NOW. You'd think BMW would make sure they don't have clowns running dealerships that sell and work on their bikes. Stunning. A few years ago I had the local dealer here in North Texas change the clutch pack (clutch+pressure plate, seals, etc) in my old 2005 R1200RT. I bought the aftermarket oil resistant clutch and they did all the work. They did a great job. Total cost was about $2300.

The response from BMWNA is appalling. Perhaps you should reach out to BMW Motorrad in a last ditch attempt.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Clutch has gone after ~53,000 miles on my 2011 BMW R1200RT. Local BMW dealership/shop has declined to repair the problem claiming that their tech doesn't feel comfortable tackling the job. I offered my Hayne's manual showing the process step by step. I don't do it because I lack the tools, expertise, and shop space. The shop has similar how-to info. from BMW. Still the answer is . . . not comfortable with trying to do the work and therefore won't do the work. It's been suggested I try the Nashville, TN BMW dealership/shop. Of course, that will involve transporting the bike there. This really is beyond most conventional reasoning.
I have a 1996 R1100RT in central Washington and am having a similar issue only BMW dealer in the state that is willing to replace my clutch is 200 miles away and I'm looking at $2250 and can't even take it to them till mid July made the appointment the end of may. I love the bike but I think I'm selling it and going honda or something else

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.