BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished up school and I am relocating to Denver area. Shipping the household via pod and alas I am going to have to transport my R1200RT the old fashion way. Plan on visiting Carlsbad Caverns and then am going to take the mountainous path to Denver. Looking for scenic byways(paved) and interesting sites along the way. Suggestions? :wave

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
How quick do you want to get there ?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Freeway or the less traveled road? The caverns are amazing but to get there your best bet will be the interstate. From the caverns head north to Artesia then west through the mountains on 82 to Cloudcraft,NM. Quaint little town in the Lincoln National Forest. From there down the 10000 foot mountain to the desert to Alamogordo, NM and up the 54 to the 285. The 285 will take you all the way up into the mountains south west of Denver until you get to Denver. Or instead of heading down the mountain from Cloudcroft head north through the canyon that cuts across the Mescalero Reservation to Ruidoso, NM. One of the most peaceful and stunning rides I have ever taken. Head north through Ruidoso on 70 to the 48 to the 37 that will run you up to the 380. And from there on to the 54 which will then run you up to the 285. It is a lot of two lane road but you will be amazed. It won't be all scenic but it beats the interstates.

·
Registered
59 Posts
1. Shoot across Texas to San Antonio, and then explore the Texas Hill Country to your heart's content.

2. Explore Big Bend. If you wind up in Ft Stockton after the Hill Country, head south on 385 and West on 90. Otherwise grab 90 somewhere around Uvalde. If you have time to take smaller back roads, do it.

3. Work your way up toward Santa Fe, NM.

4. Take 550 up to Durango.

5. Take 550 from Durango to Montrose

6. Take 50 East toward Gunnison and enjoy the Black Canyon of the Gunnison

7. Cross Blue Mesa Reservoir and take 92 along the other side of the reservoir and stay in Hotchkiss.

8. Take 133 North and East until it hits 82

9. Take 82 across Independence Pass to Twin Lakes.

10. South on 24

11. East on 285

12. North on 285

13. North on Rt 9

13. East on I-70

14. East on Rt 6

15. East on I-70

16. South on 103, with drive to top of Mt Evans

17. Continue East on 103 (Squaw Pass Road) into Evergreen

18. South on 73

19. East on North Turkey Creek Road until you cross under 285, then turn Right

20. East on Deer Creek Canyon Road

21. Hop onto 470 or one of the boulevards leading into Denver

Check your map for the names of the passes, and check the web to make sure they're open during your riding dates.

In Colorado, get up at the crack of dawn (watch for deer, elk, and ice on the roads), and ride till early afternoon. Then watch out for the thunderstorms. They're usually gone by 5:00 or 6:00, but you can never be sure.

I've been trapped by a blizzard on Memorial Day in the Southern Rockies, and have been hit by hail just about any time except August. Small hail, though. Not big like on the plains.

Good luck,

ape

·
Registered
296 Posts
apehair said:
1. Shoot across Texas to San Antonio, and then explore the Texas Hill Country to your heart's content.

2. Explore Big Bend. If you wind up in Ft Stockton after the Hill Country, head south on 385 and West on 90. Otherwise grab 90 somewhere around Uvalde. If you have time to take smaller back roads, do it.

3. Work your way up toward Santa Fe, NM.

4. Take 550 up to Durango.

5. Take 550 from Durango to Montrose

6. Take 50 East toward Gunnison and enjoy the Black Canyon of the Gunnison

7. Cross Blue Mesa Reservoir and take 92 along the other side of the reservoir and stay in Hotchkiss.

8. Take 133 North and East until it hits 82

9. Take 82 across Independence Pass to Twin Lakes.

10. South on 24

11. East on 285

12. North on 285

13. North on Rt 9

13. East on I-70

14. East on Rt 6

15. East on I-70

16. South on 103, with drive to top of Mt Evans

17. Continue East on 103 (Squaw Pass Road) into Evergreen

18. South on 73

19. East on North Turkey Creek Road until you cross under 285, then turn Right

20. East on Deer Creek Canyon Road

21. Hop onto 470 or one of the boulevards leading into Denver

Check your map for the names of the passes, and check the web to make sure they're open during your riding dates.

In Colorado, get up at the crack of dawn (watch for deer, elk, and ice on the roads), and ride till early afternoon. Then watch out for the thunderstorms. They're usually gone by 5:00 or 6:00, but you can never be sure.

I've been trapped by a blizzard on Memorial Day in the Southern Rockies, and have been hit by hail just about any time except August. Small hail, though. Not big like on the plains.

Good luck,

ape

Agree with all - except: 550 starts just north of Albuquerque at Bernalillo. If you want to hit 550 from Santa Fe, you can take 502 west about 8-10 miles north of Santa Fe, and catch 4 just outside Los Alamos if you want to cross the mountains - and I mean cross them. Hwy 4 is a notch above a logging road - paved, but lots of poor maintenance and sand / mud on it. 502 gets traffic into Los Alamos, but 4 on the west side, not too much.

Just an FYI - I don't know your riding preferences or if you want "challenging" roads for spirited riding, or an easy way. If you want the "easy way", take 550 north out of Bernalillo.

Either way, have a GREAT trip.

-Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts