BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a friends bike and here is the issue. I took it out to help diagnose the issue with his 05 LT. As soon as it started to warm up it began making a noise like a sewing machine while under light throttle beginning at 2800 and getting louder until 4200 then it starts to go away. I tested this many times and it is always noisy under a light load but not under heavy accel or decel. Seems like it may be missing occasionally.No noise in neutral but I think I hear 1 clunk when I rev it. I took all of the covers off to do other maintenance including the valves. I ran it up 1st in the shop with some rear brake and could reproduce the noise. I am quite certain that the noise is coming from the front of the engine like possibly a chain slapping. When I took the valve cover off, nothing seems obviously amiss but I need advice from someone who has dug deeper than a valve check.
How much slack should the chain have if the tensioner is working properly? Should I be able to lift it easily or should it be fairly tight? I can lift it up with a screwdriver and it seems kinda loose. It is not so loose that it will jump gears but it is loose none the less.
Is there a way to test the tensioner without taking the front cover off?

Oil is 20-50
19000 miles

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
A cracked exhaust manifold will sound a lot like your description. Mine did that and I heard the noise on and off for several month until it got louder and I found the source. I had mine re-welded. Worked out great.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
14wntr said:
Where did it break? I am looking at it now and dont see anything around where the headers attach.
Look down underneath where the four into one is welded.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Tap the header with a rubber hammer.. It will rattle if that's the issue..

Also.. The place where the lower and upper tupperware meet at the front will rattle as well..

Also.. There is a spring somewhere under the exhaust that will rattle..

While you had the valve cover off, Did you check the valve clearance ?

The LT definitely builds a buzz that abruptly goes away above 4500RPM..

John

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am very familiar with the normal buzz and rattles. This one is VERY pronounced at 2800-4200 RPM's. It sounds like the chain is slapping but I am not conviced. I found 1 intake bucket is .001 tight. I have inspectd the exhaust very carefully and cannot find any cracks or damage.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
14wntr said:
How much slack should the chain have if the tensioner is working properly? Should I be able to lift it easily or should it be fairly tight? I can lift it up with a screwdriver and it seems kinda loose. It is not so loose that it will jump gears but it is loose none the less.
Is there a way to test the tensioner without taking the front cover off?

Oil is 20-50
19000 miles

no slack in the chain on mine when I checked the valves this spring, you can check if you remove valve cover

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,422 Posts
The tensioner is oil fed and I have never heard of one getting loose in the last eight years. A tight exhaust valve will also not make the noise but it should be fixed as you don't want a burned valve. .005 is out of spec period. These are very noisy engines when we run them without our helmets on. Suit up and ride it naked (the bike not you!!!) just to see if you still hear it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
are you sure the noise is not tipical k wine rpm sounds about right. the first few times i herd it i was concerned. but read some threads about it & concluded what i herd was normal

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am certain this is far above any normal noise. I am going to get it running again either today or tomorrow and see if its still doing it. If it is I may record the noise and put it out there for eval.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Can you arrange to ride with other LTs? You can listen to them, they can listen to yours. Another trick my be to get a mechanics stethoscope. You can go probing around until you isolate the exact area of the noise.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will do a ride today to see if it is still haunting this bike. I still need to do a few maintainece items today before I take it out but I will report back as soon as I do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts