Premium Member
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a rider, but even more important to me:

BPK's Tri-N 2 B A Tiger
"HOBBES"
LITTLE BUDDY
12-25-96 to 01-22-08

Most of you are not aware Hobbes was diagnosed with bladder cancer last July. He put up a hard fight, but today we helped him cross the bridge, because the tumor had grown and blocked his kidneys and before he got really sick we gave him our last gift. Up until just recently Hobbes was always his feisty happy self. If you met him you never saw him without a grin on his face, even though in most photos he looked serious, Hobbes was anything but. He was described as a Stand-Up Comic in another life and that was fitting.

He was a constant joy and inspired Ann and I into several things we never would have dreamed of trying. He was the first to do Obedience, Agility, Herding, and because of him we now have several other dogs involved in various performance sports and some that have already retired. Hobbes first love, besides food, was Agility. Right up to the end he wanted to go to class and even if it meant only jumping one or two jumps he didn't care, cause he knew he would get a treat just the same as if he ran a full course. We want to thank Jody, our trainer, for insisting we continue to bring him to class. She knew how much he loved it too.

Ann and I both showed him for several years in Agility. I think Ann put the most titles on him, but he and I qualified twice for Nationals and got to go to lots of shows together. My most cherished memories of him will be seeing his tail spinning in circles as he ran a course. He really loved the sport and he loved us unconditionally.

Hobbes journey began on Christmas Day in 1996. He was born a Christmas present, but we had no idea how special a present he was going to be for us. The first day we brought him home, we knew deep inside that he was more than just a pet. There was something in those smiling mischievous eyes that said he was going to rock our world. Never once did he let us down.

Today was hard, but not impossible, because we know that we did everything humanly possible to help Hobbes. Dr. Daly, his Oncologist, never stopped looking for a cure and Dr. Quillivan, his Veterinarian was willing to go along with anything if it would help, but the tumor was just too aggressive. We had to let him go, before he became too sick, or hurt too much to say good by. We spent last night saying out good bys and feel lucky that we were able to do it in time. We both have a huge hole in our hearts right now, because he was a very special boy to us, but we have other fur kids that are ready for our undivided attention again and that helps. Thank you for your support, comforting words, or for just reading this and looking at the photos.

This was our "Little Buddy" Hobbes:

The day we brought him home:

8 months old:

3 years old:

Running Agility with Dad:

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
Jerry
Sammie & I are very sorry for your loss. We know he was loved and will be missed. Just take comfort in that he is no longer in pain and still jumping for his treats.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Jerry & Ann, I am so sorry about your loss. What a beautiful and special dog. Our furry family members seem to touch us in many many ways. Be thankful for all the great memories for they will stay with you a lifetime. Our prayers are with you. I know from experience that the first several days and weeks are always the hardest. Hugs to you both.

·
Registered
533 Posts
It's hard when you lose a best friend, or even closer. Remember the good times, and never forget.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your wife.

It really is like losing a child.

I had to put down my German Shepard in the Spring. It was the hardest decision I ever had to make.

As time passes, I hope your pain will eases as well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So sorry to hear of your loss. Sherry and I know how you feel - we lost our first Airedale to cancer and it is worst when they have the happy end wagging right to the bitter end.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
I'm very sorry Jerry.

Hobbes is running that great agility course in the sky with never a deduction, and a personal best every time.

Next time I'm over at the A&M Veterinary open house, I'll watch the competition, and think of Hobbes.

·
Premium Member
7,854 Posts
So sorry to hear about this, Jerry. These critters have a special place in our hearts. Cherish the fond memories.

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,019 Posts
Sorry Jerry thats got to hurt. I don't know of any pet more loyal to us humans than a dog. I've had cats,birds,monkeys,hamsters,pigs,racoons,rabbits,snakes & more but nothing is better than a dog.
When my beagle starts slowing down I will get another dog so I will not be without one for one minute.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,460 Posts
Lump-in-the-throat condolences, Jerry and Ann. Hobbes was truly fortunate and blessed to have such great 'parents' - who provided a loving and rewarding environment for him to enjoy life and share memories. I'm glad you two were smitten by Hobbes 12 years ago!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Nothing like someone who is your unconditional friend!

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone!!!

Today didn't start off very well and it was something I should have anticipated, but didn't. When I woke up I went to the bathroom and when I finished I opened the door very slowly while instinctively looking down, because every morning for the past twelve years Hobbes has been right there waiting for me. I would spend a couple of minutes scratching his ears and talking to him, then he would try to herd me to the kitchen for his breakfast. Course my wife saw what I was doing and knew right away by my expression and started crying, which got me started all over again.

Fixing breakfast was another hard time, because there was one less bowl to fill and my routine was all messed up with the vitamins and stuff. I noticed my wife had already picked up Hobbes little food shelf and that spot on the floor looked pretty barren. The little things are going to take awhile to get over.

When I lost my K-9 several years ago, I thought I could never get as attached to another dog as I did him. Boy was I ever wrong.

I have another Sheltie that has always considered me as his. He has joined me in bed for my morning coffee every morning of his little life and my Collie has felt somewhat slighted ever since Hobbes got sick because I tried to spend more time with him. So now they two of them are happy to have my undivided, so things should hopefully return to some form of normalcy soon.

Benny, glad you mentioned the demo at A & M. I had almost forgotten, but Hobbes was in that demo every year from 2002 until 2007.

Thank you for all the kind words and support and for letting me share my grief right now. It really helps to know that someone cares.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
:(I am soo sorry Jerry. I have been there and know how you feel.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I lost dogs over the last 40 years. I still think of them all and really miss them.
I'm very sorry for your loss.

When the time is right, you'll have a new buddy to enjoy. Larry

·
Registered
269 Posts
I feel for your loss. I lost mine a few year ago, but now have another buddy. They are gone but never forgotten.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts