BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 6,000 mile service done and this was the first time the bike had been back to the local shop since the 600 mile service.

As I was leaving the BMW dealer, I noticed that I could not hear any audio coming from the bike to my helmet. It took me about 45 minutes to get back to my home and the radio and GPS were not necessary so I just ignored the lack of audio and enjoyed the ride.

Once home, I realized that the Bluetooth was not paired so it was necessary to reset the bike to the helmet and then the GPS to the helmet.

It was easy to reset the bikes intercom to the helmet, but not so for the GPS. Seems like I remember it being difficult the first time to pair the GPS to the helmet and it was no easier this time. I probably had to try at least 6-10 times before it would work.

Does anyone have any hints or tricks to make it pair any easier? I think I followed the instructions correctly with the light flashing on the helmet, but for some strange reason it took multiple tries to get it to work. After several tries, I deleted all information and started over. After a few more tries, all was good.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have had similar experiences before.
My son-in-law is pretty good with computers and other gadgets so when I first tried syncing my phone with the Nav iv my hair was turning grey. Then he helped me with it . . . a piece of cake. Well on my 800 mile trip back from NC it must have all fell through the cracks cause I was back to square one. I got to the point where I did not care to worry about the phone. Since then under cooler head I got it to work. Still can't walk you through what I did. Hope there is no next time.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
DanDiver said:
I had my 6,000 mile service done and this was the first time the bike had been back to the local shop since the 600 mile service. . . .
Side note and not to hijack.
But this statement just means you have been enjoying your K6 for 6K miles with no time to spare :rotf:
ride safe :bmw:

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dang Bill, I thought that you were going to be able to help me!

and yes, I really have been enjoying the bike. Probably heading up to WV late next week for a nice 2,000 mile ride..

·
Registered
112 Posts
What this means is that you got the software update that will fix the iPod issue. Mine was also unpaired after the update. It's all good and worth it.

I pair straight from the little BMW BT manual (I use chapter 6 for 2 helmets, GPS, and phone). The most important trick is to be in a very BT sterile environment; no other signals except for the ones you're trying to pair. This isn't as easy as it might seem. Everybody in the house has to turn off their cell phones. I have to power down the wife's iPad and the keyboard and mouse on our main home computer is also BT. Hopefully you're not too close to your neighbor's BT devices.

Sounds crazy but I'm convinced it helps.

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jamesgoodchild said:
Pop your gps out the next time you need to pair it. Just power the gps on and leave the bike off. Mine pairs up in seconds doing that.
Thanks for all of the suggestions... Taking it out of the bike with the bike off sounds like the plan. I had it in the cradle with the bike on! Sounds too easy..

BTW - James, I think your bike is a 2012 model.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
DanDiver said:
Thanks for all of the suggestions... Taking it out of the bike with the bike off sounds like the plan. I had it in the cradle with the bike on! Sounds too easy...
Dan,
That IS the way to pair helmet to Nav IV....

·
IBR# 366
16,656 Posts
crosswrap said:
How come we call the first GTL a 2011 in Canada? Same bike is a 2012 in the US, what gives?
It's a US marketing thing. Most buyers would rather have a "2012" model, even if it's delivered in the beginning of 2011. Pure BS, but it does help sell bikes, and cars too, for that matter.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
meese said:
It's a US marketing thing. Most buyers would rather have a "2012" model, even if it's delivered in the beginning of 2011. Pure BS, but it does help sell bikes, and cars too, for that matter.
I believe it might also help with financing. If there is a 2011 model, then it changes over to a 2012, the remaining 2011 bikes aren't the "current" model, so the finance rate would not be as attractive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts