BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: As I was doing my 48K service this afternoon, I managed to lose the exhaust hanger bracket that lives under the skid plate. I know that sounds stupid, but I still managed to do it. Thinking I'd order one on-line from Max BMW, I looked it up and was stunned to find out that little set of pieces would set me back about $80. I believe I have heard some people mention that their bikes do not have the bracket and they have not suffered any detectable ill effects.

I'm looking for some input on whether or not I can ignore the problem and ride without the bracket.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
BkrK12 said:
:confused: As I was doing my 48K service this afternoon, I managed to lose the exhaust hanger bracket that lives under the skid plate. I know that sounds stupid, but I still managed to do it. Thinking I'd order one on-line from Max BMW, I looked it up and was stunned to find out that little set of pieces would set me back about $80. I believe I have heard some people mention that their bikes do not have the bracket and they have not suffered any detectable ill effects.

I'm looking for some input on whether or not I can ignore the problem and ride without the bracket.

Thanks.
Mine is currently sitting on my workbench, where it came to rest during my 6K service. I likely will not put it back on, as I'm not convinced it provides a "must-have" support to the collector box behind the headers.

In theory, it may be desirable to have it to quell vibrations have may lead to failure of the weld joints in teh exhaust (at the head pipe/collector box junction, or at the head flanges), but I'm not convinced this is the case -- there are too many LTs running around out there for several years now without the support for me to believe its "absolutely" needed.

So, if it were me, I'd save the $80 -- besides, as soon as you buy the replacement, the original will show up in your garage! ;)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Mine is sitting in my tool box. Removed it as I suspected it transmitted the usual 4500rpm buzz. Sure enough, the buzz is gone.

If your exhaust someday develops a fatigue crack due to the bracket not being there, it wont' cost $80 to have the crack repaired.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4500 RPM Buzz

I should have mentioned that when I took it out for a test ride, I noticed the 4500 RPM buzz was much reduced.

BTW, the issue resolved itself. When I took the dog out for a walk 15 minutes ago, there in the beam of my flashlight was the missing part. I'm still going to consider not puting it back on though.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Leave the damn thing OFF! :) Before the site change, there was a rather interesting post opposing the hanger. Some of us (me during my 24K service) elected to not re-install the pesky part. :eek:

Well, as you mentioned the buzzzz is great reduced! So, maybe the fracture issue is gone too!

Mine is off and staying off! :bmw:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts