BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All!
I am contemplating a two week solo ride to the NY/NJ area from Los Angeles around the end of July and the beginning of August, riding approximately 500 miles a day. Initially, I planned to go for the Woodstock 50th Anniversary shows though my plans have changed due to my wife's work schedule... blah, blah.

So, I would like to cover Route 66 either as a start to the trip, or on the return portion because I plan to visit with family in Chicago. I would also like to visit family near Raleigh, NC... and, family in parts of NJ for some leg of the trip.

(NOTE: I haven't ridden a motorcycle solo cross-country in 30 years ('81 KZ750 with camping gear, full leathers, underwear, socks, cash, and a credit card). I have driven many routes cross-country using variations on the 1, 8, 9, 10, 11, 5, 6 [see screen shot from the website: https://roadtripusa.com ...by car, or van over the years.)

My 2000 K1200LT is almost ready... new tires, new lighting, gps, dual cameras, travel tool kit, spare parts, etc.,
I plan to ship fluids, and filters to family in NJ so I can ready the bike for a safe return...

I also plan to buy a bag for the tank, and a portable gas container.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for letting me know. I reposted it and it seems to be working now.

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
151 Posts
500 miles a day, with gas and rest stops, your not going to be stopping to see much (Avg 50 mph with stops = 10 hours a day on the bike). Hopefully you mean 2 at least weeks each way. That will give you time to stop and see things. Route 66 is best done around Sept/Oct for the western states. I did all of Route 66 westbound from the second week in Sept till Oct. The weather was great. Some cold mornings but it always warmed up. Some days I did less than 200 miles, lots of stops. Other days 400 miles. About 2 1/2 weeks to cover it all, and I still missed a ton of things.

Cheers,
Tross

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a great trip, with so many possibilities.

You might want to read through this thread for some good advice on long trips:

How to safely and successfully ride 1,000 miles in 24 hours or less

Note that you don't have to push to a thousand-mile day, but the advice remains solid for anyone doing long days in the saddle.
Thanks so much!
I read through the thread(s) and then some. I routinely drive the coast-to-coast in 54 hours-I am not interested in breaking any land speed records, I just like to cruise and average 1,200 miles each day with breaks the first two days, then about 400 miles for last partial day. One year, I spend three months on the road traveling to 40 states seeing the sights, and spending time here and there at the more interesting landmarks around our beautiful country.
My wife traveled with me on one cross-country trip and flew home back to Los Angeles from NYC because she was not enthralled with the landscape as we rolled along. For this year, she suggested I take a few weeks and go because the KLT is ready to roll.
As I am older now, my hands are feeling stiff due to injuries and arthritis, and this may be my last cross-country ride.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
500 miles a day, with gas and rest stops, your not going to be stopping to see much (Avg 50 mph with stops = 10 hours a day on the bike). Hopefully you mean 2 at least weeks each way. That will give you time to stop and see things. Route 66 is best done around Sept/Oct for the western states. I did all of Route 66 westbound from the second week in Sept till Oct. The weather was great. Some cold mornings but it always warmed up. Some days I did less than 200 miles, lots of stops. Other days 400 miles. About 2 1/2 weeks to cover it all, and I still missed a ton of things.

Cheers,
Tross
Thanks, Tross... it sounds like you had a great time.
For this trip, my main reason to go is to just ride... I am not going for a sightseeing cross-country trip, which I have done over 20 times, I just want to head to NJ/NY and a few places to visit with family. I told each family member I plan to visit I am only coming for lunch, then I am back on the road. Cheers! Bob

·
Registered
347 Posts
RT 66 can be boring and hot in the summer. Stay off the Interstate as much as possible and take secondary or back roads. It will take longer but be much more enjoyable and see the real country

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
What is in your travel tool kit, and what spare parts are you bringing?
The only spare parts I carry are my cell phone and a couple of credit cards. :grin:

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
The only spare parts I carry are my cell phone and a couple of credit cards. :grin:
HA! I ride an LT so along with the cell phone and credit card, I also pack a spare FD crown bearing with a new seal and fuel pump vacuum packed in foodsaver bags.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
HA! I ride an LT so along with the cell phone and credit card, I also pack a spare FD crown bearing with a new seal and fuel pump vacuum packed in foodsaver bags.
It is easier to just keep Saddleman’s number in my cell phone. :grin:

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is in your travel tool kit, and what spare parts are you bringing?[/QUOTE

Thanks for asking... Motohansa Tool Kit, GS-911, Motojack (if the inevitable happens), small air pump, flat repair kit, water, spare headlight bulb, and bulbs, tie downs, fuses, assorted clamps, screws, washers, nuts, and bolts... a bit of wire, duct & electrical tape.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RT 66 can be boring and hot in the summer. Stay off the Interstate as much as possible and take secondary or back roads. It will take longer but be much more enjoyable and see the real country
Thank you... good to know.

I just plan to ride... I spent 3 months on the road one summer taking in 40 states, and a got a taste of a bit of the local flavor here and there while deciding where I wanted to grow up. I ended up in Huntington Beach, CA until grad school forced me to give in to buying a house in a college town after graduation.
Still haven't grown up after all these years, though I am looking forward to just a ride.

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
I also pack a spare FD crown bearing with a new seal and fuel pump vacuum packed in foodsaver bags.
That's fairy ridiculous—and fully understandable on an LT... :bmw:

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
That's fairy ridiculous—and fully understandable on an LT... :bmw:
Well, I just replaced the 19 year old fuel pump 2 weeks ago with a new Quantum so I may pull the cheapo spare I bought out and set it aside once I get a few rides in to make sure I don't suffer infant mortality failure of the part. Been on this forum for a few years and have taken note of what has stranded folks far from home and I do want to ride far from home some day.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thank you... good to know.

I just plan to ride... I spent 3 months on the road one summer taking in 40 states, and a got a taste of a bit of the local flavor here and there while deciding where I wanted to grow up. I ended up in Huntington Beach, CA until grad school forced me to give in to buying a house in a college town after graduation.
Still haven't grown up after all these years, though I am looking forward to just a ride.
You will have to cross the Great Plains some place. Believe it or not there are some pretty good roads across Kansas and Nebraska. 36 in Kansas and Hwy 2 in Nebraska come to mind. Nice wide open places to crank it up a bit :wink:.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You will have to cross the Great Plains some place. Believe it or not there are some pretty good roads across Kansas and Nebraska. 36 in Kansas and Hwy 2 in Nebraska come to mind. Nice wide open places to crank it up a bit :wink:.
Thanks! I can work those into my route!
Interesting (that) Hwy 36 runs between Interstate 70 & 80, and Hwy 2 between 80 & 90... nice!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts