BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it is normal for a rear rotor on a 2005 with 7000 miles to be loose. It has quite of bit movement from side to side when moving it with my hand. I noticed it when applying the brakes. I would hear a clunking type of sound coming from the rear brakes. After getting home I checked the rotor and it is pretty loose.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Brake discs on the LTs are of the 'floating' type. They're supposed to move - a bit.

Others with more 'tech' will be able to tell you what 'too much' is or isn't.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Floating rear rotor

Bill,

The rear rotor DOES float. I don't believe you should be able to move it by hand, at least I can't move the one on my 2000. If you hear a clanking at the rear while riding, then you've surely got a rotor that is moving more than it should. I'd take it to the dealer and tell them about it. I have seen and heard of others with '05s that have had the rear rotors replaced under warranty.

Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. It has quite of bit play in it and it is moved very easily side to side. It appears to be more than I think it should.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Loose Rotar

Got mine changed under warranty 7000 miles .
The replacement,s got play in it as well.
not much difference in noise.

04 your 05

graphite in Blighty.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The rotor can move side to side when new. Additional free play develops as the washers between rotor and rivet either wear or break. When the washers break the rotor rattles. Eventually wear to the rotor or rivets occurs. The rear break is not compromised but the rattle is irritating.
Pete

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I notice the fronts have no play and I guess they are floating rotors as well. It's like there are no washers holding the rotor. It clanks back and forth as I move it. It appears that there are wave washers holding the rotors in front. I guess another trip to the dealership. Thanks guys for the info.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have an 05lt. When riding slow I notice the rear brakes rattling. The dealer said this is normal. I have about 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I may very well be 'normal' but it it not right.. If you have warranty have them replaced.. have him show you a new on on the floor that rattles..

·
Registered
437 Posts
Billmer said:
I was wondering if it is normal for a rear rotor on a 2005 with 7000 miles to be loose. It has quite of bit movement from side to side when moving it with my hand. I noticed it when applying the brakes. I would hear a clunking type of sound coming from the rear brakes. After getting home I checked the rotor and it is pretty loose.
I had the same problem......http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23477

Pat

·
Registered
805 Posts
Hmmm, when I click on the link Pat provided above I go to mapquest!?? Let's see if this one will work: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23477 I don't know if it is my imagination, but it seems like a high percentage of posts about the rear rotor are from folks who own an '05.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I went to the EBC rear rotor and pads over 2,000 miles ago and have only heard a little sound(without ear plugs) from the pads. I don't think the cagers can hear it.
Cow bell - gone!
Squeel - gone!
God-awful sound - gone!
Neighbor commenting about the rattling noise - gone!
So far the investment has been worth it!

·
Registered
437 Posts
was said:
Hmmm, when I click on the link Pat provided above I go to mapquest!?? Let's see if this one will work: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23477 I don't know if it is my imagination, but it seems like a high percentage of posts about the rear rotor are from folks who own an '05.
Well.....let's try this again...............http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23477

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I don't see any difference, but this one goes right to where I wanted the first time.........maybe we're being jinxed?

I see that somebody with an 02 is having the same problem now.....except he's trying to install an after-market.....

Pat

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have an 02 K12, replaced the rear rotor June, 2006 at 97,000 miles. Should have been replaced sooner as I put up with the cowbell rattle for quite a while. Rattle is back with 123,000+ on the odometer. Will try EBC rotor on when I get tired of the rattle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts