BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
On the image below you will see a dust cover on the upper right - the bolt under this is loose! I am sure it is not meant to be loose, but can find the tightening process or torque details anywhere.
Is it just a matter of tightening it, or do I need to hold something else in place/ pretorque something?And what torque setting is this one?
Thanks

·
Registered
509 Posts
That is a rather critical fastener that secures the leading link to the fork slider tube bridge. It is NOT supposed to be loose. In fact, this fastener is secured at the factory with thread locking compound (Loctite).

To remove/tighten, you need the special slotted socket (See attached pic) that allows you to hold the inner allen bolt steady as you tighten the outer lock nut which get's torqued to 130Nm. If yours is loose, I would recommend removing it, cleaning the threads, reapply Loctite, tighten to the proper torque, and Bob's your uncle.

Cheers, Toolman

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Is there nay way I can get away with just tightening this up or removing and tightening without the special tool?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm sure you can probably get it tightened back up without the special tool, but tightening it to the proper torque might be tricky without the tool. Many folks have made their own sockets....buy proper size socket...and simply grind out a window to allow an allen wrench to fit.

I recommended removal because if it's loose, that seems to indicate the the thread locking compound isn't doing it's job...and is why it should be removed, re-Loctite'd, then re-installed.

Cheers, Toolman

·
Registered
322 Posts
If my read of the manual is correct you don't torque the allen, you need to hold it stationary while you torque the nut to 130 Nm. It also says to apply loctite 2701 (the permanent stuff) to the threads.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
rcoolbaugh said:
If my read of the manual is correct you don't torque the allen, you need to hold it stationary while you torque the nut to 130 Nm. It also says to apply loctite 2701 (the permanent stuff) to the threads.
Yup, Ralph is correct. You want to capture the threaded rod by inserting the Allen wrench into the end of the rod and thus keeping it stationary while letting you tighten the nut onto the threaded rod using 130 Nm torque. If you're close to a dealer, they may loan you the cut-out-window socket for tightening? Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys - just finishing the cut out tool now - not pretty, but amazing what you can do with a dremmel and an angle grinder!

·
Registered
910 Posts
There ya go Commander!
Innovation and a trip on the horizon will always make the necessity and drive for inventive alternative tool making..

Its also those thumbs too! :D
Seems to me that trip will go on now as scheduled! Be safe C00Kie!

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the encouragement guys BUT................
I have hit a brick wall:
The Clymer states that I have to take off side panels, tank cover (odd) handlebar fairings, HANDLEBARS! etc etc. Just to tighten ONE bolt!!
IS this true?
I know I can't get the torque wrench in there yet, but do I really need to go that extreme?
Also, if that bolt is undone (and off for cleaning) won't something fall off? I mean it must be holding something on right?
I don't want to do a botch job as this is obviously an important bolt (thank goodness I found it loose as part of the pre-trip checks), I do have another bike I can use and I have less than 24 hrs to go!

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
I did mine without removing it all.. are you sure you were not reading the replacement of the shock... that would require removal of all the covers.

BTW.. that is the "Jesus bolt".. if it comes loose you'll see Jesus..

if it comes loose you'll have a hard time controlling the bike. But, to get it to separate from the arm, you'l have to loosen the bottom shock bolt to let it come up enough.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks bud - how much did you remove? and does anything need supporting when it is off?
What page is it it in the Clymer? It is all a bit vague

Good description of how important the bolt is!

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No idea what that is mate, - also 2 in the morning here, so I best get some sleep
Any info you can leave here would be most appreciated
Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts