BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi has any LT owner suffered with what sounds to be loose baffles in the silencer ?
At low revs and when I blip the throttle there is an awful rattling type noise which seems to come from the silencer but I am having difficulty pin pointing where this noise is coming from.
No problem when travelling at speeds over 50mph.

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
ronslaverda said:
Hi has any LT owner suffered with what sounds to be loose baffles in the silencer ?
At low revs and when I blip the throttle there is an awful rattling type noise which seems to come from the silencer but I am having difficulty pin pointing where this noise is coming from.
Hi, Ron - take a torque wrench (22Nm) to the exhaust header flange bolts (two per pipe) and see if maybe one or more might have loosened over time. They'll make a rattle like the dickens if the pipe(s) are allowed to move at the bolt-on. HTH.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
+ 1 on what Dick suggests...The exhaust flanges are known for their rattle when they get loose...Sometimes a weld will break and you have to get it tig welded back...

Betcha got a stud broken off somewhere... It happens...Happened on My LT..

Easy to fix.. Remove exhaust.. Usually the remainder of the stud will just back right out...

Good Luck

John

·
Registered
191 Posts
Two other sources of rattle:1) Make sure the heat shield cove hasn't come loose. 2) It could be that catalytic converter is crumbling. That happens, but not often. Not much to be done for that but replacement.

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
Bob204bc said:
Two other sources of rattle:1) Make sure the heat shield cove hasn't come loose. 2) It could be that catalytic converter is crumbling. That happens, but not often. Not much to be done for that but replacement.
Not positive, butt I don't think EU bikes have cat-verters --- maybe some do, butt most don't. They're usually a US mandated thang.

·
Registered
231 Posts
ronslaverda said:
I had a similar rattle a while ago. It turned out to be a broken bracket that mounts the silencer to the frame, underneath the bike in the area where the hydraulic center stand.
The bracket is stainless steel and looks like a two metal rings welded together with two wires.
In my case, one of the wires broke off and when the engine vibrated on low rpms it was rattling / ringing. Re-welding the bracket took care of it.

BJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts