BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my fourth unit. My present one works perfectly until I go over 50-55 mph at which point the blue tooth audio into my Sena drops and then stops. If I slow down it starts working again.

The Sena works fine with another blue-device, my tablet, one of the few MP3 players I could find with a balance control, works fine up to at least 85 mph.

With the Garmin 665 both the audio from the MP3 player and the voice communications stop.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
665 SUX. I'm on my second unit. First was covered under warranty but not this one. Each one had a heat related audio distortion issue. I'm living with in for now while reviving my gps 376c and re subscribing to XM audio and Wx. Sorry you had to go thru 4 of them, but I don't think Garmin can fix the problem.

I think the 376c programming is far superior to the 665 too, BTW. Not progress, not perfection! :mad:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
BecketMa said:
This will be my fourth unit. My present one works perfectly until I go over 50-55 mph at which point the blue tooth audio into my Sena drops and then stops. If I slow down it starts working again.
Automatic speed control. ;)

Garry

·
Registered
31 Posts
IMO Garmin is the best of a bunch of bad products. I am on my third 660, and this one is glitchy. Sometimes when I turn it off and back on it will loose my .mp3 files. I have to turn the unit off, remove the battery, reseat the SD card, put it all back, then hope it sees the .mp3 files again.

When the day comes that another company makes a weather resistant/proof motorcycle GPS I will chuck the Garmin in the trash!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Blind_Squirrel said:
IMO Garmin is the best of a bunch of bad products. I am on my third 660, and this one is glitchy. Sometimes when I turn it off and back on it will loose my .mp3 files. I have to turn the unit off, remove the battery, reseat the SD card, put it all back, then hope it sees the .mp3 files again.

When the day comes that another company makes a weather resistant/proof motorcycle GPS I will chuck the Garmin in the trash!

I have a 660.
Are you sure it losses the files? What size SD card are you using? The larger the card the longer it takes to display the files in the music mode. I used a 32GB card. OVERKILL. I have over 3,000 songs but only about 2600 will display. I went to a 16GB card and the boot up time is a little less but still limited to the same number of songs. Everything has its limits. I will have to find a smaller size card that can load the max amount of songs. The larger the SD card the longer it will take to display the files even if you have 1000 or 2000 songs. It has to read the sd card in its entirety before it will be ready to play the songs. Keep in mind that the GPS priority is for navigation so I guess Garmin did not make MP3's a priority.

Oh by the way if you decide to chuck it in the trash let me know. You can chuck it in the mailbox on its way to my house. :)

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the 665 are notorius for occasionaly not finding the MP3 files. Fortunately all I have to do is turn mine off and then on again to find them.

I bought a tablet with blue tooth hoping that the quality of the play back would be better--no differance. The tablet's blue tooth works fine but the level of the audio is below that of the Garmin. If I adjust the vilune in my headset for music Garmin voice prompts BLAST me.

I'm not happy withe the tablet on the internet, the main reason I bought it. The GPS software doesn't come close to the dedicated GPS units.

Bob

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
My 665 has been without issue! Certainly no speed related problems, just hit close to a hundo the other day, XM BT all the way to 100 MPH.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
I wonder if we are better of just buying a $150 GPS with a decent mount for our bikes. Even if they are not water proof, you could go through three or four units instead of one water proof GPS. Also, you can get a decent 5-inch screen size.
Currently when it rains, I place a small zip lock plastic bag over my XM radio. How hard would it be to cover a GPS with the same thing.
The one disadvantage that I see going with the cheaper GPS is that you do not have the proper (dedicated) cable to tie into your bikes audio system.
Just my $.02!

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
ZUMOs and reading SD cards is a known issue, much discussed and little really known of a solution.

I'm one of the lucky ones, I guess; my 660 works pretty much flawlessly. It will need to re-read the mp3 files after songs have been added, but it happens fast enough that I don't really notice it.

The BT going away at speed is not an issue I've heard of before!

My 660 to my Sena has been tested to 130mph. Worked fine. :)

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm also using a Sena. Fortunately i have the tablet with MP3 files and blue tooth--that works at any speed.

I'm thinking the same thing, buy an auto unit as long as I can get audio out into the LT's radio/amplifier. If it dies, just buy another one.

Also have to look at how easy it would be to manipulate it with gloves on.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Garmin Nuvi 2350LMT looks like a good candidate to try around $100 refurbished, if you trust Garmin refurbished!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts